Author Topic: i dont understand how to make a bow out of a stave from like lowes?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline chriss880

wouldnt it be to hard and then wouldnt it crack when you pull it back?

Offline crooketarrow

Re: i dont understand how to make a bow out of a stave from like lowes?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:05:11 am »
   These are'nt staves there a board bow. Staves are split from a cut down live tree. The boards can only be from certain woods and have to have straight grain at least 3/4 sawed that the grain can't run off a side. Check out GEORGES site I'm sure he has a section or board bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »
Chriss, Go to the "How To and Buildalong" section. At the top of the page you will see Jawge'S(George Tsoukalas) website. He covers evewrything you will need to know about building a bow from a board or tree stave. Eric's site just about Geprge's has a handy tool you can make to help you achieve good tiller.
  I'll have to disagree a little with Crooketarrow in that you can have a board stave. Any wood that is used full length to build a bow is a stave IMO. Billets are smaller pieces that are joined at the handle area to creat a stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:33:51 am »
Don't think of it as a board, but as an aggressively decrowned stave.     >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:32:38 am »
John Scifres also has an excellent red oak flatbow buildalong on his website:  http://sticknstring.webs.com/ferretsboardbow.htm  I mostly used his design for my 1st two bows (flatbows).  1st was for my son (an intentional kid bow ;)). The second was for me and came in at 40-45# (despite my learning errors!), beautiful and shoots nicely ;D