Author Topic: Will silver maple make a d section longbow?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Will silver maple make a d section longbow?
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:58:04 pm »
70# is the highest I really am looking at. The maple I was thinking of making a d section bow I believe is silver maple. I have never made a maple bow, is it typically any good in compression? Take lots of set? Chrysal?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:08:14 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Will silver maple make a d section longbow?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »
I don't know about silver maple, but all the maple I've used has been great under compression.  It takes a little set (mine have all been around 3/4"), but there's nothing wrong with that.  Maple will easily make a 50 lb bow.  70 is probably possible, I'd back it with rawhide though.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:25 pm »
Tim Baker doesn't say much about it in TBB 4 except to say its specific gravity is 0.47 That is awfully low for a bow wood and especially low for a 70# d section longbow. JMO.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:44 pm »
   I have made quite a few silver or soft maple bows. Not a great bow wood but does hold up fairly well considering how light it is. About 55# is the heaviest I have gone, for a d section bow @70# I imagine about 72" long and 1 3/4" wide might work pretty well. Steve

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:00:04 pm »
Toomany....,
       I checked my wood properties chart, and if ya want to go that heavy....get ahold of me and I'll get a piece of hard maple to you it's nearly indestructable in compression and has a 12% specific gravity of .64 which is better than Ash,Elm, Hackberry and Black Walnut.
rich

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:21:23 pm »
I got into some silver maple a couple of years back.  Chrysalled easily but became ok enough when heat treated and left wide.  A better wood for carving than for bow making.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:30:45 pm »
Hmmm, after hunting around some I have read alot of people talking of chrysals... Thanks yall for the heads up. I got 82" to work with so far on this stave I got today. Just something to play with I guess. :) Rich, I might have to take you up on that soon as I get something worth trading, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:24:35 am »
Hey if you make a warbow weight bow with silver maple, you'll get my undying respect.  :D

Get that stave nice and dry and round the edges or she might just fold on you.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:28:31 am »
My experience with Silver Maple is from observing how the trees in the yard hold up to storms. Silver Maple seems a lot more brittle than sugar maple, with limbs easily cracking or breaking off during harsh mid-west storms. I think the tree is very popular in landscaping because it grows rather quickly, but its hasty growth comes at a price.

Just leave it wider and longer than a sugar maple and see what happens! Hope it works out  :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:46:56 am »
  I agree with dauntless I've never made a bow that heavy from any maple. Have made a 45 pound bow out of maple along time ago but not silver maple. I was'nt impressed with mine so I never tryed it again. I think 70 pounds would differntly over stress your limbs. But I only had one try at it but I would'nt try it. But take my impression the a grain of salt.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING