Author Topic: I'm really starting to hate Yew!  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
I'm really starting to hate Yew!
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »
Not really but it is getting me down. Blew another one today that was tillered out to 28.5" while shooting her in. had about 50 arrows through it and drew her back and she popped just out of the bottom fade.

Bout to give up and just buy a yew bow or trade for one cause at the rate I'm going I'll have 7 or 8 hundred in a yew bow. Them stave ain't cheap to be blowing up. LOL
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline bigcountry

Re: I'm really starting to hate Yew!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:10:01 pm »
You have any tillered pics?  Ever thought about rawhide backing before shooting in?
Westminster, MD

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »
Man, thats some really crappy news. I had my favorite bow blow up for apparently no reason lately. I think it has something to do with the fullmoon, somethin going round. Naw, but really, I've had bad luck lately, sometimes I it seems that there is just a funk that goes round. I am sorry to hear about your bow blowing.  
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:17:00 pm »
I got some pics but need to get them in my computer. Both bows that blew came apart on the belly first from what I could tell. I'll get some pics up later.

Knots I think it might be in the water, LOL One thing is for sure is that if we ain't breaking we ain't making. Part of it I guess just sucks to shell hard cash for a stave and have it blow. If I had access to yew around here it wouldn't be so bad. I could just go cut some more. LOL
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »
   I have seen many perfectly tillered yew bows blow up. One of my favorite bows is a yew flat bow, I can't relax when I shoot it and tend to short draw because I am worried about it blowing up all the time. Tim Baker finsihed one up a few years ago and the tiller was a bend through the handle bow about 66" long and 55", conservative demensions by any stretch, blew up on about the tenth full draw. Perfect tiller and clean flawless stave. I think the rawhide back is the way to go with yew. Steve

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »
Sorry to hear that man. I hate to think about a nice piece of yew snapping, but it happens. I have seen some of the most knot filled yew bows stay together and ones like yours grenade for no apperent reason. That's natural materials for ya. hope you get better luck on the next go around.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:08:10 am »
I talked to Keenan on the phone today and the best we could figure from what I told him was wind shake. He explained to me what it looked like when it blew from wind shake and upon closer examination it fit the description to a t.

The first one that blew on me was in a highly stressed area and was my fault for pushing it to far to fast. Live and learn I reckon. On to the next one, LOL

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:48:05 am »
   Sorry for your loss Kris,  However I know yew will eventually love yew  ;D In fact i think everyone will love yew ;D

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:00 am »
Keenan if a feller get's to talk to you and know you a little bit like I have and don't get encouraged something is wrong. I'll get it on the next one  ;D. Third time is the charm.

Stiks