Author Topic: My first flute! (..added video)  (Read 5663 times)

Offline swamp yeti

Re: My first flute! (..added video)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:58:42 am »
That is a real nice looking flute,good job.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 12:03:31 pm »
thank you swamp!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:59 pm »
Looks great and sounds good to me,you must be a natural if you have only been at it 3 days. :)
You ought to be ready to serenade us at the Classic. ;) :) :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 11:35:02 pm »
Cool job Josh. I've been practicing mine so we all can have a jam session...paleo style ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 11:02:32 pm »
Hi,

Just wanted to say that is a nice looking flute...like your bird a lot...the holes on most flutes are different sizes...in fact if I see a flute that has all the holes the same I usually find it not in tune and the holes have just been drilled by someone who doesn't know how to tune a flute...had a wood worker visit one time who left my house depressed as he had the idea that all he had to do was route the flute, drill some holes and wallah!! he would have a fine flute...didn't care for the fact that tuning them is the most important task in the whole process!

In case you are interested there are two flute makers sites on Yahoo groups and in the files you can find tons of info on building all sorts of NAF's...many of the top nationally known flute makers are on those sites helping people along...

Rand
Catahoulaflutes.com
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 11:53:20 am »
thanks a bunch for the info! I joined one of the groups and figured out how to make a routing jig... it really makes life easier vs scraping them out by hand.  I just finished my second flute just waiting on the finish to dry... it is an F# and the sound on this new one is a whole lot better in my opinion... I made the true sound edge a little wider and shorter and the difference is like night and day!  I will post it when the finish dries on it.  Thanks again!    :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »
Josh,

Flutes are a lot of fun!...once you get the standard flute down then tackle a branch flute and then after you have done a few of those tackle a boo flute (when you do email me as you need new instructions) and then once you have made fifty or so flutes then it will be time to take on a drone.  If you join a flute circle (each state has at least one) you can find flute players as well as local flute makers to hang out with and ask questions of) (Check out INAFA on the net and look in your state for flute circles and makers).

Enjoy!

Rand
Catahoulaflutes.com
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West