Author Topic: shooting short bows..  (Read 3709 times)

Offline aero86

shooting short bows..
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:42:20 am »
im thinking of making a short bow or two, with shorter than normal draw.  how do you guys shoot them?  do you still hit the same anchor? or do you have a different anchor when shooting them.  the mini hornbow i have made me think of it..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: shooting short bows..
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:12:03 pm »
I usually just bend my bow arm more and hit the same anchor.  Using shorter arrows with it helps or if you are gonna use your regular arrows then wrap some thread around the arrow at the bow's drawlength so you can feel the thread cross the arrowpass/your hand when the bow is at full draw to keep from over drawing it.  That's what I do and it works great for me. Good luck!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:14:24 am »
when I shoot my short bows I anchor loosely under my chin with a pinch grip...thats between 20-24" draw.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:28:34 am »
I shoot short bows the same exact way I shoot longbows and any other bow.  Poorly.  >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:06:39 am »
me too jw!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:50 am »
I'll let ya know when I get my first shootable one finished. The last 2 have blown up on me :o Both 48" attempts. But it had to be the woods fault not mine ::)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »
Good idea on wrapping the thead on the arrow shaft to know when you are at full draw never thought of that duhhh I was marking mine with a permanent marker or makeing different arrows that are shorter lol thanks for the simple yet great idea ;D I really like short bows when I shoot them I have a different anchor point I anchor my top thumb joint to the side of my chin bone and when shooting longer draw I usually anchor my upper pointer finger knuckle to my cheek bone.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:35:40 pm »
I dont use an anchor point per-sey....floating anchor. Otis Mason, in his paper of 1893 told as how the Natives he talked to said they "pull to the head" so I make my arrows to the bow. But still dont use an anchor, when the head touches the bow hand ....it's gone.  for what ever it's worth sir.
rich