Author Topic: pressure flaker question  (Read 4883 times)

JustinNC

pressure flaker question
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:38:22 am »
Broke down and decided I might make some copper tools. Unless I can find some Delrin rod soon, I've been pondering what to use as handle material. Figuring yes I can make a pressure flaker and ishi stick out of wood and wrap to keep from splitting, but what fun is that? So I've got some round (cant remember what size, have to check) aluminum stock. Thinking of making a pressure flaker and ishi stick out of that. Drill a hole in the end for the copper, and then one in the side to tap for a set screw.

I understand that Delrin is supposed to flex and really pop the flakes off. How much of a disadvantage would I have by making it of solid round aluminum stock? Regular flaker and ishi stick.

Dont want to ruin perfectly good stuff if the stiffness is going to handicap me. I have an old rake handle I can use and not be out anything if I should just use wood. Already have the aluminum from another preject that I started and didnt finish, but dont want to start cutting it and drilling if it seemed dumb.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: pressure flaker question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:52:17 pm »
I picked up some Delrin off e-bay some time ago. You might check that.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:11:18 pm »
Justin, A freind of mine at the classic last year suggest to me to make a flat wood one, easier to grip than round ones. Mine is a pc of maple that is 5/8 X 1-3/8 X 18" I wrapped the end to keep from splitting an I really like. It doesn,t flex an at first I wasn't sure but the more I use it the better I like it. I'm pretty cheap I mean frugal also ;D ;D ;D  Later Bob

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »
I picked up some Delrin off e-bay some time ago. You might check that.

Bevan R

What size do I need? What is the stuff used for, trying to find out if there is a local source?

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:17:57 pm »
I went to Lowes & bought 3/4 " oak dowels drilled holes for the copper & set screws. Cut spirals into the handles for grips it works well for me.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »
Justin, A freind of mine at the classic last year suggest to me to make a flat wood one, easier to grip than round ones. Mine is a pc of maple that is 5/8 X 1-3/8 X 18" I wrapped the end to keep from splitting an I really like. It doesn,t flex an at first I wasn't sure but the more I use it the better I like it. I'm pretty cheap I mean frugal also ;D ;D ;D  Later Bob

Anyway to get a pic of that?

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:19:04 pm »
I went to Lowes & bought 3/4 " oak dowels drilled holes for the copper & set screws. Cut spirals into the handles for grips it works well for me.

Reminds me of the chair leg boppers that Lyman (nclonghunter) has.

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »
I have others out of mesquite but here are the dowles.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 02:13:44 pm »
What size do I need? What is the stuff used for, trying to find out if there is a local source?

Go to HD or Lowe's and try the feel of different size of dowel rods. Some people need bigger grips than others. Once you find the size you like, do a search on e-bay for delrin. most places have a size range. As far as local, it ain't going to happen in my neck of the woods. My area does not have the manufacturing base to support it.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 03:48:49 pm »
Justin, I bought a brass insert that has heavy threads for wood an interior is for allen screw. Got them at lowes. Hope this helps.  Bob

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:17:28 pm »
Bob thats a fancy ishi  ;D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »
Jesse, John Thomas got me going on this styleof Ishi, said he could keep a better grip ona flat one instead of round an I believe he was right. ;D ;D ;D Bob