Author Topic: My first bow Red Oak  (Read 6780 times)

Offline johnston

Re: My first bow Red Oak
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 02:54:41 am »
Good looking bow. ;D

Did you build the arrows ?

Lane

Offline DEllis

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »
Looks simple and effective. I like it.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Acutus

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »
Thanks again everyone!! I appreciate the compliments! ;D

I know how jazzed I was when I actually decided to make a piece of wood wear a string and have an arrow fly into a target !!!
You reached into a place that not a lot of people go or have been. AND....you did it really well !!! Tell me that you couldn't wipe the smile from your face when you nocked that first one and let it fly??? Great job, and best of luck on future wood bending - it just sort of grabs you and you start looking at trees ( and boards) differently!!!

Thank you! ;D I do want to make one from a stave as well maybe after the one I'm going to build this week.  ;)

Lane, No I did not make the arrow. My friend makes them. He is also the one that advised me on the building of my bow. I'm hoping he'll join the forum very soon. I think you all will like some of his stuff. I'll post pics of another arrow he made me with a stone point (actually from Legionaire I beleive) and Phragmities with an oak footer.

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 12:24:11 am »
Of all bow woods, I like red oak the best.  Well done!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 02:38:22 pm »
Looks a heck of a lot better than my first, second, or even third bow. Nice job. Red Oak ain't just for beginners though, I'd discovered I like the wood better than several of the other major bow woods. To Each His Own.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Acutus

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 01:37:20 am »
Well Red oak is the only boards I could find so I really had no choice. I keep thinking I got lucky with this one but we'll find out as I've started my second. :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 01:57:26 am »
I love the tiller on those D-bows.  You did fine work there.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 02:43:49 am »
Love that bow. I agree with prosaffel. Red oak is not merely a "beginners wood." It makes a first class, durable bow. Everytime I find a red oak board with good grain I can't resist buying it.