Author Topic: white ash build along (finally done( this time for real))  (Read 60328 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: white ash build along
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:21:52 am »
sorry one last thing, i was wondering how would i go about stenciling something onto the back of this bow, becasue when its done, i want to try to put the elvish writing on the ring from lord of the rings in gold paint, or should i just paint by hand, i was thinking having it on each limb
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:11 am »
ok, scrap the idea of the elvish on it, my hand is not skilled or steady enough for that right now, but i think i found a good finish, have any of you heard of it? heres a picture of the stave after i split a large splinter off the side, a little closer to final dimensions than i wanted, but ill take it, and a cool curl that happened while i was working on it( t may not be that impressive, but @ 2am, i was pretty happy) but this ash sure loves to curl. also i have a picture of the end grain, the color is a little off so i could make it a little more noticeable

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 04:10:50 am »
here is where the stave ended up and unless it can regenerate ( at which point i will be either very happy ;D( more staves) or very scared :'()
it looks like it will end up around 1-3/4 inches wide at the handle, and im thinking ill do around 1 inch thick, maybe a little more
thanks for looking, unfortunately, this might be it for the weekend as i have alot of work for tomorrow :'(
noel

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 11:37:01 am »
I think the slightly wider flatter profile that you suggested is a good idea for Ash.
I think heat treating the belly is prob going to be necessary if your American Ash is anything like our UK stuff.
For those heavy weights I think you'll need to get a short string on ASAP, mind, getting a string onto it can be a right battle even on a lower draw weight ELB at the early stages.
Good luck, and don't worry if you get a bit of string follow.
Ill follow the thread with interest.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 01:01:55 pm »
Noel, if I may suggest... you should work on the situation at hand and stop trying to decide how to decorate a bow that may not even be successful. I'm not doubting your ability to build a bow but think if you take this one well placed step at a time you will have a better chance of success. Also, I don't accept your impatience as an excuse. It is a symtom of possible failure.
  You have achieved a good back ring. Now you are asking for suggestions but seem unwilling to wait for an answer. You are dealing with a 24 hour cyber world and the folks that are more knowlegable of this type of bow are at least 6 hours away so it takes them time to answer your questions. I know you are anxious to build this bow but you have lt crawl before you can walk!
Impatience and the inability to take positive suggestions will kill your bow before you have a chance to unwrap it potential. Use this stave to build a successful 100# war bow and learn the methods and techniques to do so. There are lots more varietied of wood that would be more appropriate for a 120# bow or a 300# bow(  ??? ) but without the experience and correct methods you are setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.
  This is a special stave in that it belonged to a deceased friend of mine but it is only a piece of wood! It will be a great memorial to my friend Tom when your well tillered war bow is built...but it is just a piece of wood and even the best, well seasoned bowyers out there will tell you that there is no guarentee it will be successful. They will also tell you that there is a certain steps and method and a limit to what this wood, and any wood for that matter, can successfully achieve.
  Step back, take a deep breath and think thoroughly about every step you take while tillering this bow. You have the best wood bow and war bow folks in the world at your finger tips so use your brain to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge that is yours for the taking.
  I have heard nothing but encouraging words from this wonderful group of folks. Do them the courtacy of accepting what they have to say and implimenting it to build a successful bow; their only reward for their imformation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 01:21:13 pm »
Pat those are GREAT words of wisdom

Noel, i hope you take Pats words of wisdom to heart and follow them.
like the old saying say "patience is a virtue" and for us bowyers it is also a very important tool.
i have been building bows for three years now.when i first started i was like most and wanted to pump out bow after bow.
after a few failures i realized it is much better to take my time and pay attention to the wood i am working with.

personally i think some of this comes from the generation he has grown up in
seems like this modern generation(my sons included)
they want it and they want it right now
it is what they have come accustomed,and thats wht they expect from life now

sorry to say another old saying is still true to this day,especially in our hobbies
"good things come to those that wait"

it takes me weeks and weeks and weeks to make a bow now,also i have fewer failures now than before
my trade bow im making was begun the day i got my trade persons name
i dont even have it to floor tillrer as of yet,and its been a month already
i figure if i work on it everyday for the next couple of weeks i might have it to floor tiller by then
but i also dont spend hours every night working on it
i only spend about 1-2 hours a day on it
then i stop and give my mind and eyes a rest untill the next day
sometimes it best to stop and wait untill your mind and eyes are fresh again
and only go one step at a time
like Pat said,your already wanting to know what to do for decorating it and its not even a bow yet
when your mind starts to wander like that when your working on it,its time to stop for the day/night
if you continue to work on it and your thinking 10 steps ahead of where your at
thats when you will miss something here or there that could make the differance from a "shooter" to "one for the corner of shame"

take your time,there is definatly a very nice bow in that stave
just be patient and help it come out
after its done and shot in well,then its time to think about decorating it  ;)

just my $.02 worth

good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 02:02:15 pm »
Great words of wisdom indeed.  These guys have been around :)  My dad always told me that too - Good things come to those who wait. 

In my experience though, I find it very beneficial to be thinking 10 steps ahead.  In fact when building or creating something, I usually go through all the steps in my head before even starting.  This usually saves me from running into dead-ends, and saves me having to drop so many f-bombs :)

I think planning is the first key to a successful project.  And then patience while carrying out that plan comes second.

Don't push that wood too hard!  Tiller slow and be on the lookout for set.  That's your warning flag that you're expecting to much.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 03:05:42 pm »
How come you guys never give me advice this good! Kidding. But in all seriousness this is book worthy advice. We often think of techniques and tools for making bows but what's being discussed here is the most important part of being a successful bowyer. Being a college student, I can't wait to come home and make a bow. Then when I'm actually in the process of doing it I get so excited that I forget what I'm doing and mess up the bow. This has happened to me on many occasions but I think I'm getting more of a handle on it in my old age  ;).

Noel, take your time and make this a successful bow. Anyone would love to have a stave that great so make sure you put it to good use. If we had a 24 hour news feed where we could constantly see your progress on this bow, you could easily be a mindless robot and the people here could walk you through literally every scrape on this bow. Wait for the advice. Its good stuff.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 03:15:37 pm »
thanks for all the wisdom everyone is passing on, and don't worry, all of the decorating thought were either hours before i started ( mainly based of an impulse i had for a few minutes) or once i was done for the night and looking through some finishes. i defiantly see what you are all saying about patience, and that is something i am trying to wrok on, i actually stopped workingwhen i did becasue i saw myself rushing too much and didn't want to make a mistake
thanks for the help ;D
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 03:55:01 pm »
i just realized, what about using one of those mini propane burner/stoves to heat treat the belly, i havent done it before so im not sure if it would be too much or too little
thanks for the help ;D
noel
PS: im not trying to get ahead of myself, just want to make sure i have a plan

Offline Ian.

ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 04:35:19 pm »
ok, 1 last thing,trying no to get ahead of myself, but i was trying to figure out what to do for a tip and i was wondering, what about turning a nock the shape of traditional horn nocks out of ebony, i have a good lathe and the tools for it and i think it wood look cool
i dont know allot about ebony, so any input would be welcomed as usual even suggestions of other types of wood i could use for this, maybe ipe?
thanks
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:19 pm »
I've never worked with ebony so I don't know it's properties. I imagine it you have a good grain orientation it would work.  For now, leave your tips a little wide and use temporarl side grooves for the string nocks.

Cam, if you don't know much about wood bow building it is hard to think 10 steps ahead without confusing yourself. For a beginner I think it is important to take one step at a time and when completed go to the next step and so on until the job is completed. Thinking about the finish for your "bow" before you have even cut the stave to shape is too big of a step and clouds the issues at hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »
I've never worked with ebony so I don't know it's properties. I imagine it you have a good grain orientation it would work.  For now, leave your tips a little wide and use temporarl side grooves for the string nocks.

Cam, if you don't know much about wood bow building it is hard to think 10 steps ahead without confusing yourself. For a beginner I think it is important to take one step at a time and when completed go to the next step and so on until the job is completed. Thinking about the finish for your "bow" before you have even cut the stave to shape is too big of a step and clouds the issues at hand.
pat i think you and cam both have valid points, on one hand, you don't want to get ahead of yourself, but you also want a plan for what you will do
thanks for the input
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOT-AIR-HEAT-GUN-2000W-PAINT-STRIPPER-/110653551224?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item19c3773278#ht_1078wt_758

But in your country
i found 1 like that just now, those are allot cheaper than i thought they would be ;D
that might be an option now
thanks
noel