Author Topic: Asgard  (Read 9346 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Asgard
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:32:13 pm »
Beautiful bow! I love to see bows that need an explanation! :) Great story, and keep up the fine work.
Rockford, MI

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »
great job man   ;D
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »
sky arrow, tattoo dave, Scowler...  THANKS guys.

Thank you everyone!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline JBL

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 11:34:21 pm »
Too COOL!!!  The tiller and artwork are amazing!!!

Offline seabass

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 01:19:09 am »
very nice.i like it alot.i also like the history lesson.thanks for the pics,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Caius

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 12:24:55 pm »
Just nasty looking bow, I“m pretty jealous.

Thought I would like to point out, if you're writings Runes 'n' such nonsense, it makes its much cooler (well to me) if you go with the runic spelling. In this case Asgard would be Įsgaršr (pr: es-GAR-thur).
"Wyrd biš ful aręd"
Edmonton, AB

Offline thomas h

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:28 pm »
that bow is outstanding the art is fantastic.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 07:10:27 pm »
Very nice. I like the artwork and the story. Cool to see something different.  Good job
Traverse City, MI

Lombard

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 11:14:18 pm »
Nice bow, and thanks for the mythology lesson.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 12:25:13 am »

Thought I would like to point out, if you're writings Runes 'n' such nonsense, it makes its much cooler (well to me) if you go with the runic spelling. In this case Asgard would be Įsgaršr (pr: es-GAR-thur).

Thanks Caius.  Thank you very much for pointing that out.  Yes I considered that spelling but only for a short moment.  I guess it's along the same lines as using hickory rather than elm or ash.  Or choosing the type of bow design that I did rather than a more ancient true to history style like a molly.  It does, as Jorik pointed out, reduce the authentic aspect of this bow.

The truth is that I'm a new bowyer.  Long time artist (by hobby) but very new bowyer.  I'm scared of ash and live in Arizona.  I have not been able to find elm as of yet and the thought of ordering some from some place with out being able to examine it...well just scares me.   So I used hickory because I'm used to it and very confident I can make a bow with that type of wood.   

Just like the use of the more common modern term Asgard rather than the Old Norse: Įsgaršr; meaning "Enclosure of the Ęsir" also detracts from the authentic.   I'm not limited in this case to my lack of skill as a bowyer or inability to readily obtain elm.  I simply made a choice to go with the term that is more commonly understood. Sort of a creative decision I guess. 

I like how you think though!

I tend to like to veer away from the "absolutely true to history" aspect and ad my own style / imagination or rather I like to take my idea and incorporate aspects of true to life culture to make it more believable.  I feel like this gives me a measure of freedom.  If I entered a contest to make an English War Bow replica like found on the Mary Rose I would fail misrebly because I would probably feel the irresistable need to turn it into an "Elvish" War Bow.....Hey that gives me an idea.... ;D

Thanks again!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Acutus

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 12:47:36 am »
You've done it now! Now we want to see this Elvish War bow!! :)

Offline david w.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 12:52:53 am »
great looking bow, and great tiller too
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Caius

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 12:56:32 am »

Thanks Caius.  Thank you very much for pointing that out.  Yes I considered that spelling but only for a short moment.  I guess it's along the same lines as using hickory rather than elm or ash.  Or choosing the type of bow design that I did rather than a more ancient true to history style like a molly.  It does, as Jorik pointed out, reduce the authentic aspect of this bow.

The truth is that I'm a new bowyer.  Long time artist (by hobby) but very new bowyer.  I'm scared of ash and live in Arizona.  I have not been able to find elm as of yet and the thought of ordering some from some place with out being able to examine it...well just scares me.   So I used hickory because I'm used to it and very confident I can make a bow with that type of wood.   

Just like the use of the more common modern term Asgard rather than the Old Norse: Įsgaršr; meaning "Enclosure of the Ęsir" also detracts from the authentic.   I'm not limited in this case to my lack of skill as a bowyer or inability to readily obtain elm.  I simply made a choice to go with the term that is more commonly understood. Sort of a creative decision I guess. 

I like how you think though!

I tend to like to veer away from the "absolutely true to history" aspect and ad my own style / imagination or rather I like to take my idea and incorporate aspects of true to life culture to make it more believable.  I feel like this gives me a measure of freedom.  If I entered a contest to make an English War Bow replica like found on the Mary Rose I would fail misrebly because I would probably feel the irresistable need to turn it into an "Elvish" War Bow.....Hey that gives me an idea.... ;D

Thanks again!

Ha no problem. I wasn't commenting on the lack of authenticity just pointing out my love the ON and OE spellings of stuff, and their badassery... My fault for being a Medievalist though.
I was watching Lord of the Rings the other day and was thinking, those are some sexxxxxyyyyyyyyy bows.
"Wyrd biš ful aręd"
Edmonton, AB

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »
Great looking bow and I love that you didn't hold back with Half-eye's addage, "make what you want."
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery