Author Topic: hunting trees  (Read 1517 times)

Offline crooketarrow

hunting trees
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:05:50 pm »
   I'm writing this because a guy came around a couple times looking for a hickory stave. His first bow and he like me when I stared building bows I did'nt give much thought to tree's. I only knew when you wanted to make a bow you cut a tree down. Ands thats what I did for the first few years.
   Untill I met a guy while I was trying to get a buck up to a logging road. At the time he'd been building selfbows for 40 plus years me 3 or 4 . He saw my bow and I his and I had a mentor I just concider him a friend at the time.  Well his grandparants were IROQOUIS. I found out he did things a LOT different.
   I had at least 25 staves dryed or drying. He had one drying. I told him he could have a stave anytime he wanted. He rerfused saying he only to cut his own trees. It makes better bows And he had lots and lots of staves ,where can I see them. I said hows it make a better bow he just shook his head. He takes me out behind his house. I say theres nothing but woods out that way. He shook his head again. He was one of those guys that when he talked it use'lly was a lesson in it. I did'nt know it then but he was always looking while he walked,hunted or when ever the was out doing want ever. He had dozzens logged in this mine (he never wrote anything down) and would'nt cut the tree to he needed it and would'nt cut a mature tree. Even though he's have to wait for it to season. and he had someone that wanted a bow built. You just had to wait.
 It's all comes with the makeing of the bow he'd say. I'd just roll my eyes and think  yea right.
  I've  learn and always do the same now and know where he's comeing from. But I have to log it in my journals to remember it. I learned to really enjoy hunting and cutting my own wood. Through the years it's became part of just building the bow. Just like he said it would become. I no longer stock pile staves as before. Except for osage where the older the stave the betterand it won't rot I've never bought a stave I do like tradeing for staves not in my area. I know where or have been walking past tree's for years knowing,waiting,watching for the time I may use it.
  I can't say it makes my bows any better but it's really enjoyable for me. Am I the only one that go's this route. Or is it just a peice of wood to you.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING