Author Topic: Sudbury/Wampanoag Bow  (Read 9345 times)

Offline Acutus

Sudbury/Wampanoag Bow
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:26:19 am »
Does anyone here have any decent pics of the actual Sudbury Bow? I want to build something similar (in fact I started it today) but I'd like to see the original. Mine will be different cause I'm using a board not a stave and the board is 3/4 inch thick so I've laminated a handle piece on (first time for that too).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sudbury/Wampanoag Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:30:33 am »
Most bow building books have pics of the Sudbury bow. Google "The Peabody Museum" and "Sudbury Bow" and see what you come up with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:35 am »
Hey Acutus, the best drawings Ive seen come from the tbb and from how to make indian bows and arrows by spotted eagle douglas. The Peabody Museum does not have any drawings or pictures of the bow. I also did lots of browsing and found little more than a thumsize picture which you cant see much. If you do find anything, please share it, im sure many have looked aswell into this.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:01:32 am »
Cesar I just emailed you a pic of the original sudbury bow. Will you post it on here? I can't via my phone. Acutus I have a reproduction one. I can send you pics maņana 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Acutus

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »
Legion, Yeah I have TBB which is mostly what I'm working from. I'd just like to see the real bow in a picture. You'd think that such a famous bow as the Sudbury there would be no problem finding pics on the net but I ran into the same stuff as you.

Criver, Thanks! that would be very helpful and hopefully legion can post the pic.

Thanks!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Acutus

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:19 pm »
Thanks Jack!! Weird I couldn't find this pic this size only one I ever found was same pic but smaller. This is at least a little better.

Has anyone on the forum ever seen the actual bow and taken pictures?

Offline toaster120

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 02:06:18 am »
Heres a link to a few pictures, not sure how to upload pictures straight to the form.   Sorry

http://rudderbowsarchery.com/shopping/images/indian/sudbury2.jpg
http://rudderbowsarchery.com/shopping/images/indian/sudbury1.jpg
from NC

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:13:22 am »
Hey criverville, dont think I got an email, or I might have delete it it, sorry. Can you email the pic again please?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline smoke

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:53:09 am »
The folks at Rudder Bow have cautioned me that their "Sudbury Bow" is not a true replica of the orginial.  If you look at it carefully, you can see that it is not symetrical as the original.

Offline toaster120

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:21:05 pm »
oh i did not know that. Thanks :)
from NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 12:44:38 am »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original was left strung for quite some time and the deflex is due to that.  Seeing how no one in living memory has strung or shot this bow, the everything else is going to be conjecture, but did this bow bend thru the handle or was it stiff. 

I look at the slow fadeouts, and the gentle narrowing of the handle as indications that it was indeed bend thru the handle.  Am I nuts?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:02 am »
JW I am no expert on the matter, but it does look like the bow bends in the handle.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:59:28 am »
Pope made an exact replica of the bow. The dimensions documented show that it wouldn't have actually bent in the grip but the very long fades would have worked slightly.
 I made a replica about 20 years ago that I have lost track of but | remember it definitely did not bend in the handle.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 04:06:22 am »
The current issue of backwoodsman magazine has an article with drawings. By Tom Rogers I think.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia