Author Topic: Flint Run!  (Read 21195 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Flint Run!
« on: June 02, 2007, 08:37:29 pm »
Thought I'd show you guys where I pick up the majority of my flint. This is a near a little town South of San Antonio TX. I was here roughly a year ago in the winter (with no crops) and the feilds of flint just dissapeared over the horizon - got a truck load along the edges without permission, cause I couldn't find anybody. This time I ran into the farmer and got that permission. Caught him mowing his driveway - I disturbed him for a moment to ask if I could pick up some rocks, he rubbed his chin and studied on it for a bit and said sure, get all you want - uhh what you going to do with em. I showed him some of my points and explained about my illness  ;D, he didn't seem too impressed but sayed they'd found arrowheads on the place. Anyway he took me to some washes on up the road where more rock was exposed - this is what I got away with.

Oh, I almost guarantee fifty percent of what's laying on the ground is knappable flint.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

DBernier

Re: Flint Run!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:56:26 pm »
Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Cowboy.  :o   Bring some of that back to NC. I'll trade you for a bucket.  ;D  Man that is a "GOOD" haul. Hope to see you soon. Let me know if you are within 3 to 4 hr's driving of Mebane.

Dick Bernier

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 09:11:10 pm »
Hey Cowboy. Can you get me some of the flint seeds? ::) Apparently it grows pretty good down there. I wonder how long the growing season is? ???   Where we live there is that much rock but very little knappable rock. Mostly leaverite(leave er right where it lays) ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:30:21 pm »
Wow cowboy, that looks like a potato field with all the potatoes turned up. Are you sure those are rocks?  How in the world do they plow with all those rocks.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:01:27 pm »
Nice
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:10:18 pm »
Sure thing Dick, if I'm ever up that way again (which my work will take me there) I'll bring a bucket or two along - could alway use some more Hickory. Hey Pat when I was learning how to knap I picked up so many leaverites I used them to decorate my cactus garden - that's funny leaverite  ;D. Justin: man I couldn't tell ya, have wondered myself - all I can figure is he must have some hellava plows  ;D.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:17:53 pm »
Hey Marc - thanks. If you need some more flint don't hesitate - I'd be proud to send ya some! Course we'd have to work out a trade, hmm - I've never tasted Moose ;D.

DBernier

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 10:39:57 am »
Cowboy, your salivating.  :P   Moose is good.  ;)
Let me know what you need and PatB and I can come up with it to be sure.

Dick Bernier

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:42:28 pm »
That is just too cool.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 05:54:02 pm »
Is that the hard stuff????  :o
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 09:58:15 pm »
  It's all hard till you get good at it.Break some rocks!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 11:00:53 pm »
Yessir D! That's the same stuff I sent ya. Actually the hard stuff is what ya want - the hard to break stuff is what ya don't want - the harder or denser the better. Did you ever locate some heavier boppers? That'll really help you out.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 01:19:32 am »
Nah! not yet. I've been so busy with my business I have not had a chance to get out to the work shop in a long time. I have a little modoc style bow I started a month and a half ago and I still have not had a chance to pound apart the sinew for it. Way things are going I should be in the shop again sometime next December. Man these ladies are demanding when it comes to skincare products!!!  ;D Now we are starting to cary lingerie in the shop. Should be fun selling it along with my soap products. Either that or I'm going to end up with a coronary from all the excitment!  ;D ;D ;D

I can see it now some gal is going to walk out of the dressing room and say "How do I look?". Oh jeesh! I'm really going to be in trouble now...COOOLLLLL!!!!  ;D Thank god I'm not married yet!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 01:46:02 am »
Calm down David.  The only ones that do stuff like that are the ones you don't want to see anyway.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 09:06:47 am »
i just poured coffe down my face . it burned like hell and i didnt care. thats like knappin heaven.