Author Topic: Flint Run!  (Read 21266 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Flint Run!
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 09:01:42 pm »
I'm sure his wife will make him suffer for such language, perhaps D. Tiller has an appropriate soap for the occasion. ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 10:31:07 pm »
Sure do! I remember a child comming in the shop and sniffing the vanilla bar. Thought it was soooo good that he just had to take a bit of it!  ;D That poor boy was spitten for the next hour!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 12:43:37 am »
Pete: Not sure where Pleasanton is but if it's anywhere near Lytle then you were in the same neighborhood - I have several buddies in Floresville though, may have to hit them up about creeks over that way next week.
Hey Roger - man that does look like a honey hole! I know there's some good stuff around San Angelo - looks just like all them creeks around San Antonio. What a coincidence! I'll be taking my vacation second half of July - I'll give you a holler.
And as for you Dingleberry ----- naw. I'm glad to see you renigged on that comment, I understand - yes we all are human - maybe not so bad around the deer camp - but here? I forgive you.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

basil_brush

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 02:15:39 pm »
Excellent, from those pics I'm now certain of what to look for and realise that there's loads of it the back garden where I'm living at the moment. ;D

Offline cowboy

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 04:33:31 pm »
Where do ya live basil? I may have to pay a visit ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

basil_brush

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »
I'm in the UK, so I doubt I can be of any help to you there.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 07:20:44 pm »
Cowboy, one of these days I will have to drop by your neck of the woods! I would love to hunt up some more of that flint. I will give the heat treating a go some time this next week or so. Got a lot of alder so it will get nice and hot!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 08:23:37 pm »
Yep basil - don't look like I'll be paying you a visit, hehe ;D. Don't know what kind of rock you have over there - all you can do is break it open and see what's inside. These rocks in the pictures look like most any (they have a thin layer of cortex on the outside) which is kinda like oxidized paint - it's dull and crumbly, the good hard stuff is protected within. Let us know if you find anything good :).

Hey D, if your ever around give me a shout. Keep that fire good and hot all day.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 09:16:45 pm »
You got it! It may be a while before I'm down that way though. Need to get a life one of these days!  ;D

Robinwho

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 11:20:47 pm »
Aaaah ! now I understand, so your the guy that makes all those arrow heads and spreads them all over the US so tourists think they found a 5000 year old arrow points, how much you get for that from the US tourist Board ?, LMAO

What your going to do with all that flint ?, Wow ! ;D ;D

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2007, 01:00:02 am »
Hey Cowboy, I don't know what Basil_Brush has in his yard, but some of the best flint is supposed to come from England.  English flints are imported to the states for use with Flintlock rifles in the rendezvous crowds.  I've heard said that good English flints are the best for making a spark. 

I live in Western Washington, and don't know how far you have to go for good knapping materials here.  I know there is a lot of obsidian at glass butte in Oregon which would be a bit of a trek for me, but I might give it a try if I ever get into knapping.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2007, 11:49:46 am »
Robinwho: Only one's I throw around are the broken one's - they get tossed out in the yard for visiting kido's to find, their funny to watch - like Easter egg huntin :). I'll knap a lot of that stone I've accumulated, and will trade a bunch of it also.

Hey Keith: I've never been to the NW, don't know what a feller might find up there to knap. I would think with all the volcanoes that their would be obsidian in your neighborhood (state) somewhere. If ya ever do pick up knapping - that natural glass (or man made for that matter) would be some great learning material. Television picture tubes make some fine blades and points ;).

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 01:35:36 am »
     Aw, Man!  You lucky dog you!  That reminds me of when I was in england for the World Clown Convention, and wondered if I would be able to find any flint, and then I saw a couple of chunks in the little flower beds, and got all excited, and then went down to the beach, ( I was in Bognor Regis ) and the whole beach is covered with Flint!  Dark blue, almost black flint!  I wish I had kept most of what I was able to bring home.  Not much, but chert here in Fla.  and some coral geodes in Tampa bay.  I need to make a run to Ga. sometime and look for some up there.  Man, talk about finding a mother lode!

Stickbender

basil_brush

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 04:07:47 am »
Cool, maybe I'll visit Bognor Regis, it's only a short train journey along the coast. I've never been there before though.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 10:04:52 am »
That sounds interesting stickbender. Basil - if you go there and can post pic's I'd like to see that site :).