Author Topic: splices  (Read 3246 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
splices
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »
It had probaly been posted but could not find it in the searchs can someone explain the different splice someone can use- the pros& cons of each. and any helpful informatin tips or shortcut for each. got a few billes i would like to try and put together to get some bows made.
doc

Offline RyanY

Re: splices
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:55:43 pm »
I think the biggest difference between splices is the amount of surface area. Different styles can be used depending on how much handle room you have or how much you're worried about strength. A shorter splice with more teeth will usually have more surface area than a longer splice with less teeth. I draw the splice on each billet and cut each individually. Splices which are not symmetrical like a z pattern can be cut with the billets clamped together. I think a helpful way would be to draw the splice on a piece of paper, cut it out, and tape it to the billets to use it as a template. This would ensure that each part fits together. Fine tuning work may need to be done so it's good to perform a dry fit to make sure there is as much surface contact as possible. Also very important is the glue you choose to use. I've done two splices. One with epoxy and the other with wood glue and both held up well. Ultimately it's the glue that's holding the splice together.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
If, after cutting your splices you find they don't mate well, soak the splices in water or steam them and clamp until dry. This will insure a better fit.  Unless you are building a very heavy bow most of the common splice types will work well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:36:37 am »
I use the Z-splice exclusively to join billets.  What I love about it are 1) both billet ends are cut exactly the same  so I can use a template to lay them out; and 2) there is a straight center cut which can be laid on a billet's centerline to help the tips line up.  I do as Pat recommends and soak the ends before clamping them to get a tighter splice fit.  I always drill and pin the splice to reinforce it, wrap the handle with thread, and have never had one fail.

George
St Paul, TX