Author Topic: Cardboard turkeys?  (Read 7936 times)

Offline Kegan

Cardboard turkeys?
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:15:21 pm »
Ok... we have an official turkey sighting. This is big, because they usually only roost here but fly down across the valley (and road) onto our neighbor's property at first light. Never even giving us a chance :'(. Anyway, they're hanging around for once, but with everyone and their cousin out calling like madmen they're rather call-shy. I'm low on funds but was hoping to entice them just a little closer with home made 2D decoys, like they sell for deer and antelope every once in a while. Would it work, or would the sharp eyes of the turkey be too hard to fool with such cheap imitations?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cardboard turkeys?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:19:02 pm »
Kegan, they should work just fine but try to get the colors right for the bird you are representing. Maybe make one a front of with the head to one side and another a side view. Movement should help too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »
2d will work fine
there are alot of commercial 2d turkey decoys on the market

colr pattern,bird positions like feeding hen or alert hen ,alert jake  etc
put the decoy where you would like to kill the bird at
if you can make them move some,that makes them even better
attach real feathers will help too

if you know where they are roosting, and where they are going to fly down too and which way they head from there
set up so that you can ambush them on their morning feeding walk after fly down
then you may not even need a decoy or call

if they are getting call shy,then i would use real soft subtle calling and very little of it
dont over do it.
if its early in your breeding season then a jake in half strut real close to the back side of a submissive hen as great set up

just remember, toms will usually walk up to a jake face to face(to fight)
tom will usually walk up to a hen from behind(to breed)
set decoys so that when he does come in that you get them in position to get the best kill shot
if hunting them with bow i find a back shot to be the best(spine them or upp the back door and gut them)
with a gun you realy would like them to stretch that nice long neck out for you(decoy positioning not quite as important for gun hunting)
good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »
Kegan,

It doesn't take that much of a decoy to fool them.  A friend made me this one a few years ago and had toms come in on it and knock it over trying to fight with it.  

I put a jake tail on it and put it on a steel stake with a string attached so I could make it move a little!!

This one is made of light plywood but would think cardboard may work except may not hold up to rainy weather.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »
I agree with Lowell, cool decoy by the way! I have shot birds in the past with no decoy. I also fooled a nice tom once with the black backpack I was wearing. He was within gun range, but didn't fall for it once he got within 25 yrds.
Rockford, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:11:21 pm »
Lowell's right! They really ain't all that smart :o
 I say...Why bother with a turkey decoy at all? With a turkey decoy you're still trying to make him come to you.
 Be aggressive! Go to him! You need a COW decoy ;D ;D ;D
 I made this one from 1/4" ply wood. She works like a charm >:D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:29 pm »
Lowell , Do not use a nice lookin Jake decoy with real feathers in Penna. or you are probably going to get shot especially a movin one. Shannon love your heifer decoy hows it work in pasture with the young bulls :o :o :o Oh yeah runnnnnnnn faster. Nice lookin turks. Later Bob
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:34:37 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm getting excited about this year. Having trouble finding time around work and vehicle troubles to find where they're roosting but I'm trying. I'm thinking I'll try to do my best to talk Kyle into helping me double team the buggers, after all, it's his turkey call :D

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:53 pm »
Run!!!!  There's a water buffalo behind you ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline lowell

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:10:41 pm »
Sawfiler.....your decoy looks like fun too!! >:D

Does it work if the turkeys aren't near cattle very often??.....or only when cattle are present??
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:37:03 pm »
It is fun Lowell ! I've personally never killed a turkey from behind it but I've been the "driver" on several.
 The most important thing I've noticed is how you present it to them. You gotta let them see you from a distance and get used to you for a little while. After that, you can pretty much "feed" her right up to a big old strutter. Seems to work better on smaller flocks that are busy feeding around one gobbler. I've had about a 50/50 success ratio with it no matter if there was cows around or not.  If you get in a pasture with cows they'll usually stomp and run around you like they're stupid...but the birds didn't seem alarmed.
 This thing is only used around the tail end of the season on some of those birds that seem to live in the midst of a hundred acre field and change roost places at midnight! I prefer calling them in but do get a rush watching old Bessie fart lightning! ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 11:11:27 am »
I have a tom fan attached to a 1/2" pvc pipe I use. No body , no head. They havent figured me out yet! I just stick it in the ground and they keep walking around trying to figure out where the rest of the bird is! Kegan I have OLD feather flex hen you can have if you give me your shipping info.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 01:26:26 pm »
That'd be illegal here Shannon. The bird must be called to you in pennsylvania. Kegan I'd say don't waste your time making a cardboard one, you can buy a foam 3D one at most any wallmart for less than $20. I've seen 'em on sale for as low as $7.99 Its not worth your time to make one that probably won't hold up anyways.... You know the way its going here is PA this year it'll still be snowing during turkey season.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
This weather is a mess. One day of work, one day lost. We were roofing in snow. Sheesh.

Looks like there are plenty of options, thanks everyone. I'm really getting psyched :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »
A six dollar bag of Cracked corn will keep them there for a long time ;D ;).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?