Author Topic: A couple of pics from Yew country.  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Markus

A couple of pics from Yew country.
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:01 pm »
I always enjoy looking at Yew trees and sometimes one get lucky.  Markus.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: A couple of pics from Yew country.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »
Cool pics! Looks like a great area!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:39:37 pm »
you may just find me at your doorstep tomorrow begging to be brought to where the pics were taken ;D, always wanted to try yew, but too expensive as its almost non existent where i live :'(
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »
nice pics and that's a nice piece of yew ya got there.  Looking forward to seeing your bow!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:01:06 am »
nice score. be sure to scavange every little piece off that bugger, never know what you can make out of any of it. just got my first yew stave a couple of months ago and it was only 6ft tall but one side is full of pin knots. luckily, its the side that is deflexed not reflexed. can't wait to see what you make. btw is that in the San Juans? we got snow today and I'm about 30miles east.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Markus

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:01:15 am »
Eric.
The pics were taken in Norway, where I live. Markus.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:02:29 pm »
That second photo is a nice one.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:56 pm »
I remembered that about an hour after I posted ::),  looks just like our islands in the Puget Sound. how does Norway yew compare to other types, do you know?
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »
i might be wrong but,since you live in norway..i would say that you have the european yew or taxus baccata...i think the sg is 66 on it...since i live on the US west coast we have the pacific yew...which is alittle less on the sg 64...i think it just really depends on how you grade your tree to get really good wood...and why did i write this...I DONT KNOW..just bored i guess..its a great tree and i hope to see some fine bows from it..john

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:19:09 pm »
Looks like a beautiful area there.  Are you allowed to just cut trees down if you find a good one?

I've seen on "Billets to Bows" that Glenn & Son fell a yew and process it etc.  I understand it was cut down on "public land" but I don't think we have the equivalent land in Ireland :( 

Offline Markus

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »
Yes that is correct it is Taxus Baccata and it is the only species I have used so how it compares to the american Taxus Brevifola I do not know. From what I hear it is not much different. It is with Yew as other wood species some is excellent bow wood and some mediocre or downright lousy. When you get some experience you can usually tell when you start with the drawknife. If you find a nice Yew tree you of course need the landowner`s permission. In some parts of the country the Yew is protected, but I would never live in such a place  ;). Markus

Offline lerxst

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 12:24:42 pm »
Im jealous that you have that yew, but also because you are in norway. I visited there last summer and was amazed at just how beautiful it is in real life. I dont think that pictures can really do it full credit.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 02:32:23 am »
Lerxst you are right I'm sure. Looking at those pics reminds me of Beowulf and the great battles they faught by the sea...
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.