Author Topic: Primitive "Woods Walk" challenge  (Read 2324 times)

Offline dinorocks

Primitive "Woods Walk" challenge
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:02:25 pm »
Greetings-

This year I have been knighted leader of the “Woods Walk” at our clubs upcoming 3-day Primitive Shoot.  Those participating in the Primitive Shoot are encouraged to wear period-correct (mid-1800’s) attire and set up period-correct camps…only primitive bows and self-arrows are allowed (with some exceptions for the kids).

Regarding the “Woods Walk”; six to eight archers with the best score on an entry shoot will qualify to participate in the “Woods Walk”.  The “Woods Walk” consists of leading the qualified participants through a ten 3D animal target course as a group, shooting at the targets, and answering questions or performing a primitive-related skill challenge at each target (station).  The person with the highest score at the end of the “Woods Walk” will win a great prize (I believe it will be a custom-made knife).  The distance covered in the “Woods Walk” is about ½ mile and generally takes about 1 – 1½ hours to complete.

This is one of the events at the Primitive Shoot that most people look forward to each year so I want to make it as fun and challenging as possible.  With that said, I’m looking for suggestions on primitive-related questions or primitive-related skill challenges.  Following the event, I will post the questions/skill challenges I used.  If I use your idea I will send you a small primitive token of my appreciation.

Thanks in advance!

Dino

dinorocks@gmail.com
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow"  GD

Offline John K

Re: Primitive "Woods Walk" challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:26:43 pm »
Sounds like fun ! You could have a Hawk and Knife block set up next to one of the targets that the person needs to cut a card or something before they move on to the next target. They would shoot the target then throw the hawk and knife.

Build a fire with flint and steel that needs to burn a string of a certain height before moving on

Good luck !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:58:12 pm »
Make a bowstring or explain how to make a bowstring out of sinew or rawhide.  I can't do either but think it would be fun to learn.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline agd68

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »
PM Sent
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh