Author Topic: Grinding Your Own....(Bodkins)  (Read 23820 times)

SimonUK

Re: Grinding Your Own....(Bodkins)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 07:40:07 pm »
Hey Simon i'm not sure but i dont think your supposed to post links on here 

Oops! sorry. Moderators, please feel free to remove that.

Offline Loki

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 07:58:02 pm »
I think because this is a magazine's site they only allow the people who advertise in it to have links up,i'm not sure but i think i read that somewhere  ???.
Durham,England

Lloyd

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 10:48:33 pm »
Lloyd........That is a SERIOUS arrowhead. Beautiful. Lloyd, is it possable to heat treat the heads? If they are just iron though, I guess not.

Dick

They are steel, not iron and they are hand forged so I assume they are heat treated. I specified this one to be forge blackened, but my last set of bodkins were bright polished. The smith  will also do 3/8" but I have to warn you that hand forged war heads are very pricey and the price is the same from 3/8 or 1/2" sockets (good for me with 1/2" sockets, bad for you if you need 3/8"). I paid 15 British Pounds for that single head. And John is a lot cheaper than some of the big name English smiths. I've seen similar heads from other folks go for as much as 25 GBP which is $50 USD give or take. If you are interested shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll pass your address along. I haven't done any armor shooting with any of John's heads but I had a hell of a time doing a minor sharpening job on a bodkin I got from him. They seem plenty hard to me. This is the first of his broad heads I've bought. I'll give a more thorough review once I get my greedy little hands on it. I already have several shafts prepared. All I need to do is see which one it fits best then fletch it and glue the point on. I can hardly wait ;D
PS, hand forged bodkins are about 1/3 the price of broad heads. Just wait until you start looking at swallow tails! The sticker shock could put you in the hospital!.
The top bodkin in the pic below is hand forged. The swallow tail is Indian Damascus and the bottom two are commercial bolt heads.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 10:55:27 pm by Lloyd »

Offline Loki

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 07:58:27 pm »
I need some Forged heads for my new arrows so i'm definetly interested in some from John,his heads look as good as the others i've been looking at from,Cole,Stanley etc..
I better not mess these arrow's up! :'(

I'll pm you my email mate.

Andy
Durham,England

Lloyd

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 09:36:58 pm »
You're right, no mistakes allowed with L25 swallow tails! Or even those measly little L6 bodkins. ;)
Check your mail Andy.

USMC Sniper

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 09:58:19 pm »
I've forged my own its quite simple. start with round or square stock the size u want the socket to be, i use colled rolled mild steel it seems to be just a bit harder than hot rolled.

Offline Loki

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 08:25:53 am »
I've ordered a 14c,a type 7 and a 8b  ;D,should be here next week!i'm on pins  :D.
Durham,England

duffontap

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 11:57:41 am »
USMC,

How long did it take you to get proficient at making the sockets?

J. D. Duff

USMC Sniper

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 02:31:41 pm »
oh one or two tries but i have prior blacksmithing experience. i used a piece of 3/8 stock ( for 3/8 arrows) and ground the taper i wanted on it then used it as a mandrel. ive designed a set of tongs that will make it even easier just haven't made them. they are based of a pair of modified tongs i saw a demonstrator use to roll a cup for a candle holder. let me draw them up for u.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:04:16 pm by USMC Sniper »

USMC Sniper

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 03:01:44 pm »
ok hope my sketch makes sense i did it just a couple minuets.

was thinking u could modify a pair of chain makers tongs like these
  they are a bit pricey though

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 03:03:29 pm »
I think because this is a magazine's site they only allow the people who advertise in it to have links up,I'm not sure but i think i read that somewhere  ???.

Links to a photo hosting site is OK. It's links to a business site that does not advertise with PA that is not allowed. We do this as a courtesy to the ones that advertise with PA.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

duffontap

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 03:24:09 pm »
USMC,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that.  I'll take the picture to my local blacksmith to see if he'll help me build some tongs like that.  I'll let you know, too.

J. D. Duff

Offline Loki

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 12:44:28 pm »
My heads arrived from John Marshall,i'm over the moon with them  ;D.
Durham,England