Author Topic: PRIMITIVE GLOVE/TAB  (Read 28473 times)

Offline boo

PRIMITIVE GLOVE/TAB
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:13:34 am »
what are yall useing for a glove or tab that is considered primitive? or is nothing at all primitive? thanks boo
Boo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: PRIMITIVE GLOVE/TAB
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 01:18:29 am »
Bobby, I use a Super Glove or Damascus. Not primitive but I shoot better with one.  ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 01:24:42 am »
              Use an 'ole goatskin handball glove with pinky finger cut off. Fingers aren't as tough as used to be......................bob

Offline boo

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 01:24:53 am »
yea i use the damascus also and like it. i also have a hill glove with the inserts for heavy bows but i was wanting to make one more primitive if there is such a thing. boo
Boo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 01:27:20 am »
Thumb ring! ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Wolf Among Dogs

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 05:06:25 pm »
 I use a rawhide two finger glove as i draw with two fingers (release is smoother,less fingers on the string).Shooting with no glove/tab has been proven dangerous to the nerves in your fingers/hand.Not worth the risk if ya wanna hunt all your life !..be safe!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 05:14:06 pm »
Shooting with no glove/tab has been proven dangerous to the nerves in your fingers/hand.Not worth the risk if ya wanna hunt all your life !..be safe!
My fingers went numb for about 10 days in 2004.  Almost ruined my hunt from not being able to shoot. I wont shoot bare fingers again.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline boo

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 07:22:23 pm »
ok thanks yall, i wont be doing that anymore. i like the rawhide idea thanks. boo
Boo

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:06:44 pm »
I've always played around "bare fingered". But I do compensate by using thicker strings (Parachute cord). Not the best idea, but once you work into some callouses it doesn't get too bad :).

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 12:39:29 am »
Parachute cord is robbing your bows efficiency.    Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

~JM~

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 01:52:02 am »
Someone gave me an all black wielding glove so I'm going to try and do something with it, looks kind of like this:
  The fingers are a little big so I doubt they'll work for me, but the the wrist section covers the inside of my forearm, I'm going to pick up some leather lace tomorrow to finish it.

j

[edit]

The fingers were too big so I used the palm and the back to make finger tabs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 02:50:32 am by ~JM~ »

jamie

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 07:28:16 am »
ive made gloves but its too much of a pain in the ###. i now make a tab. simple and can be done under primitive conditions. a veggie tanned leather is much better than brain tan. brain is soft as a babbies bottom but doesnt last long. peace

Offline boo

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 09:19:49 pm »
im leaning to a tab of some sorts . i have all kinds of leather so i play around and see. i was just wondering what would be considered primitive. i guess if its hand made it will work. bobby
Boo

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 09:35:39 pm »
            So.. if bare finger shootin' can cause nerve damage in yer fingers do ya suppose Native American groups and Paleo people had nerve damage to their fingers ? :-X......bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 09:54:41 pm »
Bob, I just knew you were going to say something like this.  ;D  Apparently we are doing it different. 

I actually suspect it has as much to do with lifestyle. Maybe the soft girlie hands of modern man. 
I can lay concrete roofing tile all day.   My friend who is a concrete contractor can shovel in the hard ground all day. If he was to do my job, his hands would be torn to pieces.  If I did his, I would have blisters on my hands.

The Paleo people never got carpel tunnel from typing either.  ;)  Justin

SW Utah