Author Topic: Some Training fun with the GSP pup  (Read 1839 times)

Offline NTD

Some Training fun with the GSP pup
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:44:35 am »
I've been really unmotivated to work on bows lately so I'm sorry I don't have anything to share in that department, but I have been playing with the dogs.
Here's a quick video I took tonight of some training in the house with Mia.  She's 19 weeks old this Saturday.  All her training at this point is strictly done as a game.  She's never really corrected for getting anything wrong other than maybe an "ah ah" so she knows that wasn't what I was asking her to do.  I'm more concerned with a willingness to play the game with me rather than perfection for now.  I'm working on phasing out the gestures and transitioning her to voice only commands.  Dogs learn body movement much better than words so I start with both and then wean off the gestures.  She's been a fun dog.  It took her awhile to get this kind of engagement.  I was used to malinois' which are this engaged at 6 weeks old LOL  Because she didn't seem to "get" anything until she was about 11-12 weeks old I had nicknamed her the short bus pup.  She isn't really deserving of that nickname anymore though ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuc1OAS5TsQ

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:47:48 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

Re: Some Training fun with the GSP pup
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:07:05 am »
Wow she is doing great! Very good job on the training Nate. Would love to see your work with the malinois. Thanks for sharing

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:20:53 am »
She's coming along nicely Nate.  Nice work Mia!

Don't accuse her of riding the short bus though, she's only as smart as her teacher :P

Kidding, of course :)  Lookin forward to seeing what else she can pick up.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:39:28 am »
Thanks guys.  Keenan, I'll see if I can get my wife to video me doing some work with my malinois.  I need to get him out to a bitework session, hopefull I'll have an extra hand to film that when we do.

Cam, she's not riding the short bus anymore.  That dog is SMART!  And not quite as stubborn as I first thought she was going to be.  We've started going to the dog park and she is reliably recalling while playing with other dogs.  4 months old and coming when called under that kind of distraction...I'm Happy!!!!  She also has been actively searching for game much more. And she fetches like a Lab.

Scott,  Thanks man.  I've got a long way to go though.  Filming is nice because it lets me see my mistakes.  Dogs like these...and the malinois' are a catch 22.  They are easy to train because they have an overhwleming drive to work but they are so quick, physically and mentally, timing your reinforcers can become a huge issue.  I'm seeing a lot of similarites between the GSP and my beloved mals', biggest difference I've seen so far is Mia doesn't think she's an alligator with fur >:D
Nate Danforth

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »
I've been really unmotivated to work on bows lately so I'm sorry I don't have anything to share in that department,

I know the feeling too well Nate :(   at least you know better than to work on some wood when your mind's not focused - could do more harm like that.

Nothin' like messin' about with Man's Best Friend to put a big ol' smile on yer face!!   ;D ;D