Author Topic: The thing about rhyolite.  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

The thing about rhyolite.
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:50:41 pm »
As I posted a few days ago, I got some rhyolite. The thing about rhyolite is that the primo stuff is hard to come by and because of my inexperience at collecting rock, I ended up with some rock that was ok and a little that was really nice. I'm not good at knapping yet so I'm using the ok stuff and saving the good stuff for when I'm better. The problem I'm finding with the medium quality rhyolite is that it likes flaking across one way better than across the other way. This means that you have to plan your point a little more than with other rock types. The primo stuff almost behaves like chert . Can anyone else out there post their tips or experiences with rhyolite.

JustinNC

Re: The thing about rhyolite.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:00:52 am »
Get some that is consistent. Which usually means field spalling. I've got some that people that have seen it don't like, but it's consistent and I think it flakes ok. It's not primo green but its the same through and through. I've had some that flaked well but the same piece might not flake at all on one end and the other knapped alright. That's the best advice I can give from my limited knowledge. It's fun and it's cheap.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:07:50 am »
Hey Justin, I might make another run soon and I'll try your advice. I hope to get enough put up to share at the next N.C. Knap in or possibly at the next get together.

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:57:49 am »
I dont follow my own advice haha. Getting enough isn't the issue.......getting some that somebody actually would take the time to beat..now theres your issue  ;D

Offline toms22

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 10:09:32 pm »
I live here in NC and would like to knap some good rhyolite also. What I have been expose to will not flake at all. I have seen some real nice work in making points. Down at Morrow Mt is where the indians got there flint. I have not made it down there yet. Hope to try some one day.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 10:45:19 pm »
just make sure you don't get rock from the state park.
bryan irwin