Author Topic: plant diary  (Read 12059 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
plant diary
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »
decided to keep a journal this year of the various wild foods i eat. not planning on doing an all wild diet at the moment but i seem to eat wild food incorporated into other foods almost daily. today i harvested dandelion greens and roots , garlic mustard, and wild onion. stir fried it and made nori rolls with organic long grain rice. for those who follow this thread figured id let you also know how i feel about shopping, HATE IT. when i do shop however im a pain in the a$$. i truly believe the best way to tell corporations what we want in our food is by how we shop. i look for organic and local. everything i buy needs to come from wiithin a 200 mile radius . theres a few exceptions to that rule (im addicted to avocadoes =). ) my girlfriend also belongs to an organic farm co-op so we spend a lot of time canning food from the goods we recieve there. anyway nori was great. the bitterness of the fresh greens being washed down with some spice bush tea really woke up the wild side in me. not planning on posting everytime i eat a dandelion but as new food comes in through out the season i'll make a post. also made chicken soup tonight with some of the last potatoes and carrots we canned from the farm last year. tomorrows dinner =). like to hear from others too as you experience this growing season. food is medicine, peace, jamie.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: plant diary
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:16:22 am »
Hi Jamie,    You're much more purist than I about food, but I too prefer local and personally harvested.   The local season for miner's lettuce is about to pass.   It started growing in my yard a couple of years ago and now I don't have to travel to pick the tastiest ( my opinion) salad green around.  I'm lucky enough to have a reasonable sized garden and am busy spading and planting.   
Not to hijack this thread, but anyone desiring some heirloom bean seed (Hickman's Pole, or Rev Taylor's colored Lima), send me an email        Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:17 am »
thats like our purslane except ours produces until a killing frost. im gonna have to save some of the heirloom seeds i get this year too. we can all exchange different varieties. one thing i didnt mention is yes im a fanatic about food, however im not afraid to kick back a large meat lovers pizza either.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:17:45 pm »
Jamie, I got my eye on a patch of stinging nettles, can't wait till there ready. Coltsfoot just started bloom here. Still a few patches of snow where piled up, todays warm rains should remove the last of it. ;D ;D ;D  Bob

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:53:26 pm »
I have a good variety of heirloom seeds that I wouldn't mind to trade for some others. I will put up a list on Wednesday when I get home.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:26:47 am »
finding ramps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D my buddys in maine were eating nettles last week and i cant get any in connecticut. what the hell.

waterbury, ct

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:33:46 pm »
I think I'll start another thread on seed saving/   seed exchange.   In the mean time... Jamie I've got chickweed all winter and purslane all summer, but right now it's a little late for one and early for the other.   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 05:26:33 pm »
aint enough wild organic cows in my backyard to support me ;D

Interesting quest Jamie, looking forward to seeing your progress throughout the changing of the seasons.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »
Jamie, have you thought of writing an article for PA magazine? I know the Medicine Man series covers a lot of what you are doing but I think an article from ones own perspective and personal experiences would be a great addition especially with a month to month perspective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamie

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »
kicking back with some ginger and chaga tea. rain today and tomorrow so work is light. gonna go see if i can get some nettles in the pot.  go dig up some daylillies too for tubers and greens. thinking of plants to come im really looking forward to cattail shoots and milkweed shoots. ate a couple of handfulls of bedstraw today with wild onion. also found a nice batch of last years groundnut vines. dig some of them up later when im doing some fishing and roast em with trout.

ron i love chickweed in the salad or on sandwiches. i use em like sprouts. if youve followed any of my other food posts you'll know purslane is one of my favorites.

justin if you find a field of organic cows growing let me know ;D

pat i have thought about it. i think steve and the cook guy cover it very well though and im not sure how much i could add. especially as im strictly northeastern.  back on the old message board several of my month long endeavors ended up in one of our members e-zines.

waterbury, ct

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 03:08:23 am »
Jamie,  I hadn't run across any of your other food posts.   I tried purslane for the first time last year.   Um good, and to think I've been trying to eradicate it from my garden all these years.

On a related note, I had a professor many years ago that actually got elected to the county weed control board on the slogan     "If you can't beat them, eat them!"      Ron

Offline jamie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
"if you cant beat em , eat em"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:16:35 pm »
i stink of ramps!!!!!!

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:51:00 pm »
Ramps? Mmm mmmmm goood!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 11:41:54 pm »
Jamie , had a bowl of day lily tubers with a little salt an butter last night ,an this evening some leek soup. Can you also eat the fresh green on the top of day lilys? Got a big bag of leeks to clean for tommorrow. Bob