Author Topic: Beaver tail questions  (Read 5638 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Beaver tail questions
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:11:13 am »
I swiped the tail off of a big roadkill beaver last night.  I would have brought the entire thing home and save the hide, but the beaver wasn't very fresh.  Anyway, I have been searching through a bunch of threads about how to tan/dry it and there are several methods.  One was glycerine, but I have no clue what that is.  Other suggestions were to use salt or borax.  Another way was to dry it like a snake skin.  Which way is the best?  If I can just skin it, flesh it, and tack it up to dry like a snake skin that would be great.  And, how long does it take to dry?  I would like to use it for a handle wrap on my trade bow.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Beaver tail questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »
Skin it, flesh it, and tack it up ;) no need in tanning the tail for a grip job. Good luck!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:58:38 pm »
Fleshing is tough because there is so much fat in the tail.  Once it is fleshed, you might want to wash with strong dish detergent several times and then rinse with 25 times more water than you think you need.   Best of luck to you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:44:39 am »
They get quite stiff if not tanned, somewhat like rawhide I guess.  You might have to wet it to soften it up again when you do the wrap.  If you plan to do any lacing, be VERY careful, because it will tear easily.  I would glue it with contact cement to help the lace hold.

Just my 2 cents :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:17:52 am »
Thanks for the advice.  The wife wasn't very happy when I told her what was in the bag in the freezer.  I plan on skinning it tomorrow.  I think I have a fleshing knife.  It has a slightly rounded blade with a palm grip.  It is an antique, but it should work.  I will post a picture when I get it skinned.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:02:31 am »
Somehow I got it in my mind that antique tools work better.  They've been in experienced hands and some of that seems to carry over.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:44:45 am »
 I know everytime I mention this the "Enviro's" jump on me, use Nitrile gloves, but, I'd wash it in acetone or Ammaco Premium gas and then wash it in Joy detergent and then rinse the crap out of it, like JW said. Soak it in water to soften it and then glue it in place with TB3 and sew or lace it like you want. You must not have been married long, My wife has found 7' Diamond backs and alligator parts in our freezer. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:56:55 am »
    I do as others said. Just akin, flesh and tack up. There right holes will tear out easy. After I put in my holes I get the donut circles that stick on note book paper holes. This really helps when laceing up. Still can't tighten super tight but it dose help.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 05:44:34 pm »
I've got one in the freezer waiting until I get time to skin and flesh it. And my wife won't even look in the freezer anymore. She knows better. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:42:59 am »
Here is what I ended up with.  The skin on one side pealed up.  I didn't have to do any fleshing at all.  I went slow and tried to be carefull, but I still tore it a little.  The other side started to peal up, then it stopped so I had to cut it and flesh it a little.  Hopefully I have enough for a couple of handles.