Author Topic: WHAT IS A "WAR ARROW"  (Read 29539 times)

Offline Loki

Re: WHAT IS A "WAR ARROW"
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 07:51:18 pm »
 ;D

Do you have any pics Bobnewboy,i'm quirius now  ;).
Durham,England

stevesjem

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 03:21:10 pm »
This Dandy's got some interesting arrows,i can see the red binding at the start of the feather but cant see any whipping,maybe the artist couldnt be bothered (i know how he feels i hate whipping arrows  :D),the Nocks allso look too large,can you splice the bone to the end of your arrow instead of inserting a piece?
Like his glove  8).

Hi Loki

Please can you remove that image as you are in breach of copyright, sorry mate but Richard Wadge took that picture and was allowed to on the sole proviso that it would not be published.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Loki

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 07:54:16 pm »
Oh bugger! sorry steve i didnt know,i've removed it m8.  :-[
Durham,England

stevesjem

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 07:08:44 am »
Hi Simon

I have been making this type of nock for quite some time, i also supply shafts with these nocks already fitted, please email me at steve@diyarchery.co.uk if these interest you.
Here's one i made earlier.

Cheers

Steve

Offline heavybow

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 07:22:38 am »
Nice war arrow steve. Steve are you coming to the flightshoots in sept. marlon

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 08:28:58 am »
Indeed a nice arrow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 06:36:46 pm »
Just a thought, what is known about weatherproofing medieval military arrows shafts or not?  Presumably, war arrows were basically expendable (in most cases and reuse was a bonus) and didn't need much in the way of protection.  External protection was, perhaps, enough ????    Other reuseable arrows must have needed help, but you could chose not to shoot during inclement weather(unlike in a battle!).
This is Antoine (1421-1504) "le grand bâtard" with a bulbous nocked (and spliced/dyed fletches) recreational shaft.  You wouldn't want moisture to lower spine and warp these labours of love.

SimonUK

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2007, 06:42:05 pm »
Steve, do you have any more info about that painting, i.e. where and when it was painted? It looks sort of Italian renaisance.

stevesjem

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007, 07:12:11 pm »
Thanks guys,
Marlon, i am planning to come this year but i need the dates as soon as possible as i have to plan this trip carefully, also i will need to know about entering and places to stay etc.

Simon, the painting was painted by Berkmeyer (I think that is how you spell it), anyway it is part of the  "Trytich of St Catherine" and was painted in the 16C and now hangs in Augsberg Cathedral.

Cheers

Steve

SimonUK

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 08:45:27 pm »
Thanks Steve

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 11:29:55 am »
Hi Loki,

I see that Steve beat me to it to post a picture of inserted horn nocks, but the attached files show what Chris Boyton has done for his roving arrows.  Please excuse the quality of the pictures - i met up with him at a shoot at the weekend, and only had my phone's camera available.

//Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Loki

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 01:20:35 pm »
Yeah Steve's gorgeous arrow pretty much cleared it up for me m8,i've never shot an arrow like that never mind made one but i like the look of them.
C.B's nock looks outstanding!i've seen him on the telly  a few times but never handled one of his Bows,does he have a website?

Thanks for posting the pics Bob.
Durham,England

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 09:36:17 am »
No problem.  CB doesn't have a website unfortunately, but even so seems maxed out most of the time with bow commissions and shaft production. 

//Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719