Author Topic: looking for an ID on some rock possibly sandstone if so heat treating question  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
I drove down on the beach the other day and notice a line of these rocks sticking out of the eroded hill side so pulled one down and hit it with a hammer stone and got a decent spall off so I grabbed a few. Im guessing its some sort of sandstone because of its location on the beach in the hill side but cant say for sure so was hopeing to get a possative ID. This rock is pretty hard to spall but seems to be a good canidate for some local material and there is lots of it! If this is sand stone is it possible to heat treat to get it to knap a bit better? If so what temp should I cook it at? Thanks for any info.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bevan R.

Quartzite??
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
here this one is focused a bit better
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Its Chert.
 What state ya in?
It night heat try to take a small amount to 400* and if that works go 500* or higher if needed.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline bryan irwin

don't know about the rock but i reconize that red white & blue one ;D
bryan irwin

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
 Im from the oregon coast Tillamook ill give it a try at that temp and see what happens should it get more glossy if cooked properly? I really wanted to just do it under outside fire burried under sand, should i break it down some or leave them whole? also how deep should i bury them for about a 3 by 3 fire not out of control hot? Thanks for any info

O ya I love cheap beer lol

Josh

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
It might fall apart if you cook it. or it might get glassy and Knapp very well or it might not change at all.
 sure ya could do it out side. take about 5or6 pieces of the rock and try them at different depths in the sand.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
K will do thanks a bunch!

Josh

Offline bubby

Josh, cowboy had a thread on cooking rock in the ground, it's on page three, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

It's not any sand stone like we have on the east coast. Some sort of chert. D
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aaron

based on where  you found it, it could just be mudstone (like fine sandstone) .
I don't know of any chert anywhere in the coast range, but it would be cool if that's what it is.
looking foreward to your experiments with it...
what... 450 lbs of obsidian isn't enough for ya?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Well I busted some of this up last night just to see what I could do this stuff is very hard but spalls nicely I look forward to cooking it and i wilkl report the results.

aaron I have more like 700lbs of obsidion, one of my buddys that was with me is starting to discover whole rocks he dug up of fire with multiple vanes in them, we started our own whole up by the midnight lace pits and thats where he said he thinks it came out of. We both pulled some nice size rocks out of that whole so im anxious to see how much I got, I will say it is some high quality fire ;D

Thanks again everyone ill keep ya posted

Josh

Offline Blacktail

it looks like mud rocks...i have seen it before BUT  dont know really what it is..i think if you cook it the rock will either fall apart or it wont do any thing..i have seen a basalt like that in differant color...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Ya john I dont know what it is but if it was mud rock wouldnt it be less hard? this stuff is as hard as rock lol cant scratch it with a finger nail, but im not sure I will have to wait and see what it does I was thinking about cooking some on the wood stove just a small amount in some sand just to get an isea of what it will do until I get time to actually do a fire outside.

Josh