Author Topic: Splicing with hand tools only  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Ash2iron

Splicing with hand tools only
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:30:47 pm »
Ok, I may be way out of line here but here goes...  I do not own a band saw, I won't get into details as to why in this post ...

Does anyone have any advice as to what hand tools I could use?  I realize I have done things backwards, I get the impression most people have wood working backgrounds before they take on bowyering.  I have no wood working experience, except from the few bows (child bows) I have made.

Thanks,
A2I

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Splicing with hand tools only
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:27:52 am »
Well, I confess I've never cut a splice with a hand saw.  But, I can say my favorite hand saws are the Irwin back saws.  However, I used mine on some osage the other day and seasoned osage is a very tough customer for a hand saw.  It's hard on band saw blades too.  Making your cuts vertical is also going to be a challenge.  That is an issue no matter what saw you use.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:26:31 am »
I've cut a few splices with hand tools.  I found the best hand saw to do the job is a japanese pull saw.  You can get them at the big home improvement stores.  If you fudge the cut a little steam or some dry heat will help snug up the fit.
Nate Danforth

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:18 pm »
agree with NTD look into a japanese hand saw. you can get very intricate with one.

Offline Ash2iron

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:35:07 pm »
Thanks guys, I was wondering about a Japanese pull saw, more and more stores seem to be carrying them up here.  I definitely will give it a try with some shorter pieces of wood I have in the shed.
Thanks,

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:31:18 am »
a pull saw is the way to go

hera is a great bowmaker, from taiwan i think...he uses handtools to accomplish what most of us could only dream of