Author Topic: HOW GOOD  (Read 11377 times)

Offline crooketarrow

HOW GOOD
« on: April 14, 2011, 12:19:20 pm »
    Just setting here thinking how good the new bowyers have it now with the internet with all the info and bowers with exsperence to call on. For many of us here we learned through just doing it. I'm sure like me others have also made lots of fire wood. Only thing I had at the time as a boy scout pamplet on makeing a indain bow.  BUILD A BOW FOR A PATCH. That I got when I was in the bot scouts. At the time I thought all wood bows wee sinewed MY FIRST 2 WERE. Not the way to start out.
  Theres no dout agout it INTERNETS helped my bow building leaps and bounds in the last dozzen or so years.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Cacatch

Re: HOW GOOD
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:05:57 pm »
This is true. The only downside to it is that some new bowyers, do more asking instead of doing and get shy about trying new things until and unless they find approval and acceptance on PA. I've seen people ask questions on here and receive the answer "try it and let us know".  At first glance that response seems a little rough and maybe even not what the asker wants to hear, but often it is very true.   :)

CP

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »
That sounds familiar then I said to myself it's only wood and I'm doing this as a hobby and not for a living or to put food on the table and at that point I decided what the hell and just tried what ever it was. If it worked good if it didn't just try to find out what went wrong and try again.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:47:46 pm »
You'll also find that the same ones that won't try something new are the ones that will not got back 2 or 3 pages and find the answer to their question before they ask the same one that is asked over and over. But, not to sound like  a butt, It is refreshing to see so many new members answering those same, basic questions. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:44:24 am »
"try it and let us know". 

CP

I ask some questions to get answers I can't find. 2 come to mind from recently.1 was the tree ID. I guess I'll have to settle for the dogwood since that is the majority.

The "try it and let us know" I figured no one had tried the Lauon backed board, but I asked it any way, and got th try it and let us know. Did a build a long, and found out that it don't work, stripped it off and backed it with Hickory. That was the bow you saw last month from me. Sooooo if it weren't for tat statement> I would never have tried. As new bowyers, we tend to get timid with the wood we have and don't want to waste a single board foot.

I reckon I'll have to keep asking questions that I can't find with the search options ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:51:17 am »
    Nothing wrong with that.  My granddad always said.
  I you don't know ask you might look dumber than you really are.
  ASKING ONE WAY OF LEARNING I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ASKING I DO IT ALL THE TIME.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »
Hillbilly, thanks for posting your results on the Luanne test, sorry she didn't work out.  *grin* 

Crooketarrow has a great point.  I have increased my understanding of the how's and why's over the last few years without breaking the bank buying staves, boards, tools, finishes, feathers, gozmos, gadgets, and whatchamacallits.  The bows I am doing these days are a whole order of magnitude better shooters and better looking, to boot!  On the other hand, I make far fewer bows because I'm always here reading about 'em!!!!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:10:47 pm »
I didn't mean to make my reply sound so negative. What I was getting at was it is great to see so many knowledgeable people on this site that can answer questions then there was three years ago. There is a lot of new, innovative talent on this site, now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:25:07 pm »
It's not just bow making, it's everything. There's lots out there, if you look around. Great information is every where, waiting to be sorted out from the rest.

I want to knowthough... why aren't people any smarter :D?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 11:28:20 pm »
Eddie, we know your back is giving you fits and we just chalked it up top that.  And you made a good point about how new talent is getting in there and answering some of the questions that everyone else has answered 14 times already.  They are paying their dues, so to speak.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:17 am »
  Over the years I built up a small group of guys who would like to come over to build bows. Some of them never became independent and I found myself just building their bows all the time which cut into my own bow building time more than I liked. I quit making bows because of this. Now I just say you do it period, if you have a question ask but I am not touching your bow. Steve

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:01 am »
   It's really nice to have so much info at your finger tips. IM NOT JUST TALKING BOWS.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 10:45:41 am »
I don't mind someone showing me the ropes, but I'm the hands on kind of learner. Just tell me how and if I make a misstake then, either physically show me or just let me try again. I wish I had a bow building mentor that could physical show me the ropes. I'm greatfull for half eye. He tries to give me explanations for the questions I have. Being about1500 miles apart, his arms aint long enough to reach...lol I have a bow to build for the bow trade, and have NO idea how to make it :( But I have 2 months of trial and error to get it done ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »
After many years of trial and error the internet has helped me to the point I am at today. Having others to bounce info and quarries off of and being able to "see" what they are talking about has really been a help for me. Best yet is actually sitting down in person with someone knowlegable will really help with the process.
BTW, asking questions is how I have learned most of what I know today.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 04:33:35 pm »
  I spent several years unsuccessfully making bows before I found the internet. I was backing them with fiberglass to keep them together. I found Jawges sight and made my first successful all wood bow about 2 days later. Shortly after that I found PA and quickly became addicted to the sight, lots of good bow makers here then and now. Anything you need to know you can find right here. Steve