Author Topic: Mentally Challenged Shootin'  (Read 39153 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Mentally Challenged Shootin'
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 02:21:06 pm »

Yeah Dana, we should all be very quiet...and maybe they won't hear us mentioning wine. ;) ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

jamie

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 06:12:32 pm »
greg im in the same position . when i hunt i snap shoot . from the face shoulder or hip. and i kill what i look at because the concentration is there. i want to kill the animal and its all thats in my head. target shooting is another story. i suck. but im working on it. if your bowarm is moving it is more than likely caused by a sloppy loose. get yourself to the point where you can draw on target and hold for a count of 3 or more. i usually dont go more than 3. do this at 10 -15 yards. when you start to feel some control and feel like loosing the arrow dont open your hand to loose the arrow. squeeze your upper back and shoulder muscles together. this will cause your hand to come back straight rather than pull away from your face. give it a try it works. also shoot distance occasionally. you need a very clean loose to be consistent at 50-60 yards. but dont get hung up onthe longer distance stick to 10-15 till you feel you have control.

bob my form of target panic is different from most . i seem to need to hold anchor when im shooting targets but the brain wants to hunt so as soon as i hit anchor the fingers open. im no where near as bad as i am after hunting season but i always work on form thoughout the year. peace

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 07:43:26 pm »
.................Guess I am so used to huntin' that I loose without thinkin'. Targets I am ok but I really only care 'bout huntin' game. Oh well, difference between huntin' and archery I guess  ;) :P...........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:10 am »
Bob, thinking has never been a huge problem for Greg either.  I heard his wife say he does it so rarely that she was glad to hear he was doing it at all.  ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 02:45:52 pm »

Justin, you crack you up! ;D
Greg

Offline Timbokhan

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 05:45:58 am »
Greg, although I love bows and archery, because of a bad shoulder it has been a few years since I shot a bow.  However, I shoot quite a bit when it comes to handguns and rifles, and although the delivery systems are obviously pretty different, there are some parallels.  First, the advice to just give it a rest is spot on.  I am a darn good shot with a rifle, but my pistol shooting flucuates from being downright impressive to downright sad.  When I go out, I work on fundamentals, and if it doesn't happen in the first 20 shots or so, I put them down.  Frustration is severely detrimental to marksmanship, be it bow, rifle or atlatl.  The second thing I do is that I purposely work on things that I know I am bad at.  Because I go into it expecting only incremental improvement, my frustration levels stay very low, and my skill levels build, albeit slowly.  A year ago, I couldn't hit a paper plate at 50 yards with my handgun with anything approaching frequency or accuracy.  Now, I know that I can do it moderately well.  Third, and I mentioned it above, I focus on the fundamentals.  Whenever I take shots, I have a little checklist I go over in my head.  Before I pull the trigger, I know that I am setting myself up for a succesful shot, and when I don't succeed, I have a basis for examination on what went wrong.  I should think that prinicipal would be the same with a bow as it is with a firearm.  At a certain point, things become easier.  As I mentioned, I am a good shot with a rifle, and thats the result of thousands upon thousands of shots with everything from a .22 on up.  I don't mean to imply that I am some Olympic champion shot, but I will say that good marksmanship comes easy to me with a rifle now.  Again, this translates to the bow because marksmanship is as much about repetition as it is about technique.  I have seen guys with fairly bad technique shoot like you wouldn't believe because they shoot a ton.  I am obviously not trying to advocate poor technique, but the old saw practice makes perfect is never more applicable than when it comes to marksmanship.  I know this isn't exactly primitive, but it seems to me that the methods behind building the skills are pretty much the same.  Also, and this is key, remember to have fun.  It's silly to say it, but if your not having a good time shooting your bow, whats the point?  It sounds so new-agey to say this, but if your having fun, your probably in a positive state of mind, and if you have that, even a "bad" day of shooting your bow will be useful.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 12:34:50 pm »

Hello Timbokhan, I agree completely with your comments...consistent shooting =doing the exact same shooting process throughout each shot. I'm 46 years old and am trying to recapture my shooting abilities when I was in my mid-twenties. Although I thought at that time my technique was good, I'm not sure now how good it was. But like you said, I shot my traditional equipment a "ton" back then. I would probably average at least an hour of constant shooting a day, and often more then that. And at that time I didn't have target panic at least as I do now,  I would occasionally do what I call "double clutch", which would be a slight forward flinch of my string hand while at full draw. I know I was stronger then, and I'm sure that made problems easier to overcome.

I just finished a 30 minute or so shooting session. Started out by stretching, then shooting 1 arrow at a time from various distances. My concentration was nonexsistant this morning, with the result of a scattering of arrows across the target. I might should have quit then, but I hate to stop shooting on a negative note. So I got up close to the target and just concentrated on drawing, anchoring, and attempted to squeeze my back and shoulders together while having my eyes closed. Getting the visual out of the picture seems to help me concentrate on technique. I couldn't get the hang of getting a clean release by attempting this with the back/shoulders. I'm afraid part of my problem is sometimes plucking the string as well as collapsing with my bow arm as a symtom of target panic and flinching. What is so frustrating is that I have been a very good shot in past years, and in my mind I'm thinking "why can't you do this?"! I'm going to keep shooting and practicing some of these techniques of stepping through the process in my mind. I do sometimes shoot extremely well even now when everything clicks. The sound of wood hitting wood and being able to pull all your arrows with one hand if you'd like feels good when it happens. Doesn't happen for me often now. :)
Greg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2007, 01:33:36 pm »
Greg, everyone has given good advice but the more I think on this the more I believe that some if not most of
yer problem is that yer overthinkin this and have fixated on the problem thereby compounding the the problem.
You so want to shoot well that when you don't you get fixated, uptight, ticked off at yourself in other words all stressed out.
Maybe you should take a break for a week then stay away from all targets including the 3D. Take a relaxing walk with a nice light easy shootin
bow, then as you stroll along all relaxed pop a shot off at something, don't think just shoot. If ya miss don't worry just continue along then try again.
Didn't I mention that ya should relax and make it fun becuse if I didn't I have no idear what I just said ;D
Relax and enjoy Greg!!!
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007, 01:46:15 pm »

Thanks Dana, I don't shoot 3D a lot because the competitive nature of it makes my problem worse. Having others around while I'm shooting tends to screw with my concentration even worse. I guess I am trying hard, I've just been fighting this for so long now...I wish I could just get over it!

Maybe stump shooting would do me good... :)
Greg

Offline Timbokhan

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 06:54:09 pm »
Greg, competition does the same to me, which is why I rarely shoot matches.  I gave up golf for that reason to!  Bows, firearms and golf are all the same from teh perspective of competition, because it really just boils down to what you do, not what the team does.  Moreover, none of these sports is something that you can just magically get good at, or be consistently lucky enough at to be successful.  It's a wierd thing for me, because I am a great team-sports player and reasonably competitive.  When I am on my own, my competitivness jumps up about nine orders of magnitude. 

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 07:41:12 pm »
Did someone mention Greg's wine??   :o Dang-it if my porch ain't still empty!  >:(  What's up with that?  :( ;D ;)  I did win Pat's "guess the backing" contest maybe he will send me some of his magic string and I can hold it hostage until Greg agrees to trade it for some wine....  8)
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 08:23:17 pm »
Did someone mention Greg's wine??   :o Dang-it if my porch ain't still empty!  >:(  What's up with that?  :( ;D ;)  I did win Pat's "guess the backing" contest maybe he will send me some of his magic string and I can hold it hostage until Greg agrees to trade it for some wine....  8)
Marie I'm going to have to do this on behalf of Marc. It is "one of his magic strings", not "some of his magic string."  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 03:07:23 pm »
Marie, I think you must have misunderstood someone's comment...they had probably said something along the line of... "Greg's whining about his shooting again!"...since you have "wine" on the brain instead of your front porch ;D, it was a natural error on your part. ;)

Of course I fully realise that you want wine on your front porch so that it can be transferred to your wine glass, unless you prefer it like the guys from the club...straight from the bottle! :)
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 03:32:28 pm »
Greg, Marie don't need no stinking wine glass! ;D     While she's away we can all talk about her. She'll never know! ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 05:20:22 pm »
Pat I am always watching!!  8)  Greg, I just need a long straw (one that touches down to the bottom ;) )...I will swish it around so I can fully appreciate the aromas and the flavors etc. I promise. ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.