Author Topic: WANDER WHY  (Read 7860 times)

Offline crooketarrow

WANDER WHY
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:40:53 am »
  I was setting out in my shop last night knapping. Really nice osiden heads to hunt with. Earyer in the day Id found a head and a broken tip at a camp site I check out once in a while. I have a lot of real heads and they sure a ugly I wouldn't even hafe them on and arrow. I sure wouldn't want to live by them. I know they only had anter but I've turner out some really nice heads useing just anter.  Makes you wander why the big stink over useing the right broadhead.
  Then WHY IN THE WORLD and you know some were really good a knapping. They have to figger out that the more even the head the better they fly even fi they diid keep it close.   WHY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: WANDER WHY
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:23:45 pm »
materials available, skill level, time. tools available, quarry, environment. all of these affect the finished point. one thing to sit in comfort and work nice material. completely different if there is a lack of resources and tools. im convinced that a lot of the rougher pieces never saw an antler tool and were done completely with hammerstones. also if there was a lack of resources anything pointy with a decent edge would of been used. they wouldnt of had the option to toss it away and look for a better piece. one other factor too is was it an arrow head. may of been a dart point. if its a dartpoint the shear weight of the projectile does the work and the rough rock just does the tearing.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 01:27:09 pm »
I have thought about that for a while also. Guess it has to do with the knappers level of skill, material, purpose of the tool. Could be a reworked point for another use. Maybe he was having a bad day knapping. I can even see children modifying a point or even trying to knap. The only thing I have found for certain is the no matter what it looks like I'll give it a home!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 02:25:41 pm »
I think because we look at knapping from a totally different perspective. Most of us are more hung up on appearance than function when it comes to knapping. They were making expedient disposable tools, and all they cared about was that it had a sharp edge and would fit in a stick. It was probably going to break or be lost after one shot anyway. We don't go to a lot of time and trouble making aesthetically pleasing GI can openers or carpet knife blades. Those guys could knap really well when they took a notion to make pretty stuff and show off, like the Ross blades, dance swords, turkeytail cache blades, and a lot of other intricate stuff that was more ceremonial than utilitarian. So I think it was more of a not worrying about how a tool looked thing than a lack of skill thing. We're also hung up on trying to make points and blades as thin as possible; but if you're actually using and abusing them, the thicker the better as long as the edges are thin and sharp and it'll fit into whatever shaft/handle you're hafting it to.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:10:28 pm »
Hillbilly makes a good point.  Neolithic life was probably no picnic, they didn't have "leisure time" like we do, or hobbies.  One thing I get from modern people using stone points to hunt is that they are much more selective on their shots than when they are carrying modern steel points, simply because they are likely to never use that point ever again.  Just like we are more likely to toss a disposable razor down on the hard sink surface without a care, when we'd carefully wipe down, oil, fold up, and store in a velvet bag a handmade, a damascus steel straightrazor with mammoth ivory handles. 

Mind you, I'm no trained ethnologist that specializes in paleo cultures.  Just a guy that wants to replace his disposable razors with a damascus steel straight razor with mamoth ivory handles and a nice black velvet bag to store it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:55:26 am »
   These are all good points and I've thouht them all out, BUT STILL. Being materal was hard to get for some. I could under stand but lack of materal you'd think they'ed use it more wisey when you life depended on it. Others set up work camps at out cropings of chert ,nice chert. These were work camps so time wasn't the problem,materal wasn't the problem. I've dug these and still only found suckie points. Some only hammer stones were used other were pressured flaked.
   Only thing I can figger is it's tradition they worked for 1,ooo's of years like that. But then again you'd think some inivetin person would start makeing nicer points and others would follow. It rarey happen at lest I haven seen it though my years of diging and pick ups.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:56:10 pm »
Most of the "arrow heads" we find today were their trash.  They had been sharpened down to the discard stage, then taken off the arrow, dart, spear, or knife handle and given to the kids to play with.  Also, these tools saw hard usage in their brief working life span.  Bill

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »
Here in the prairie of South Dakota the finer made stone points are from an earlier period, later points were more utilitarian.  I have six points that are from a later period.  While they aren't pretty by any means, they are all certainly functional.  One was made from a chalcedony that occurs in the area, it develops in the soils as thin slabs around a quarter to three-eights thick.  This one isn't even bifaced, it's SINGLE BEVEL!  Dr. Ashby would be proud.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:20:32 pm »
I was told that here in nor cal the natives were some of the best knappers around, but the rock hound's  used to find huge piles of points that maybe the tip broke off while making it and they just chucked them, their feeling was if it broke it wasn't meant to be, some of these were knifes that easily would have made something else, but they through them away, differant mind set I quess, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:24:53 am »

I agree with all the possibilities above, and have also thought some were preforms, others like it was said before were no longer utilitarian,  Also as for the lousy looks of some, like it was said, if it would cut, and would fit a shaft, be it an arrow, or atlatl, or whatever, it was used.  as for beautiful work, look at ishi's work, and others, and then come south, and look at the unbelievable work, or coral, and chert, like the Newnans, and Hillsboro's, and other styles.  Plus there was a lot of trading going on.  Look at the Folsums, or the other fluted point that I can't think of at the moment.  They were thought for many years to only be a lower western style, and not destributed anywhere else, till they were found on the east coast, down about four to six feet in river banks, and washouts.  Also I think a lot of the ugly ones were either unfinished, or made by beginners, and or kids.  The way my stuff looks, they could have been made by some of my ancestors. ;D  As yet, I am unable to make pretty, but I can make functional, which is what the main goal is when you are after something to eat.  Look at some od the flakes we get when we are spalling, some of them would take very little to be fundtional with any flaking at all.  I personally think that they did have some liesure time.  Once you got food, and shelter, you pretty much had all the bases covered, till the food started getting low.   ;)
     Anywho, that is my dollar two fifty's worth of opinion, there are just too many varying situations, in which some of the points that are found, got where they are, and in the condition they were in.

Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:58:37 am »
    All good but not in my area. I FIND GOOD USEABLE POINTS BUT IT STOPS THERE the rest they must have RODE DOWN TO 7-11 and  broke out the BUD that day. Wish I'd lived in there day I could have made some real money. WELL FURS

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:44 am »
The only thing we know for shure it that they were capable of manufacturing points & blades with a skill level that modern knappers are striving to reach. Just because they aren't often found in an area dosen't mean they couldn't do it. There mindset was different than ours. 10000 yrs from now someone will be collecting bottel caps wandering why we took the time to make them just to throw them away. It's like asking how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie rollcenter of a tootsie pop...The world may never know.m
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »
Ah-one
Ah-tu-Whooo
Ah-thrrree
*crunch*

Three.

Offline xin

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:27:19 pm »
Good lithic matertial, good points.  Poor lithic material , poor points.  I think they all understood the techniques for producing beautiful,  symmetrical points; they just didn't all have good mateial to work with all the time, except in certain areas of the country.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:30:27 pm by xin »

Offline StevenT

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »
I tend to agree with the thought that they worked with what they had. Think about how hard it is to get good rock. We have cars and trucks we can hop in and drive long distances to get better rock. Or get it via the internet now days.  But if you only had your two feet to get you around, then good rock may have been hard to come by. So they worked with whatever they could get their hand on. And if all you have is crappy rock like we have here in Virginia, then your work is not going to be all that pretty. I would think they worked it to be functional and as long as they could put meat on the table, it was probably good enough.