Author Topic: school bows  (Read 1595 times)

Offline butch

school bows
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:12:45 am »
here in green country,OK.our local country school-1/12- started an archery program that my grandkids entered. i was going to give the kids one of my (ooops) bows that came in under 30# and thought i might offer the school a bow for a prize at one of thier contest.i got several that are over built and under weight. my daughter asked the coach and he said it would be wonderfull to have different kinds of bows for the kids to shoot. i think this would offer a chance to show the history behind the different kinds of american and european bows. how often do you get a chance with a captive audience to teach the very subject your most interested in. perhaps a chance to show the basics of building them. i think any of our kids who realize they could build thier own would be hooked . if you think you might be interested contact a school or  dept. of education. if not, you might send a light bow to keystone school. sand springs ok. 74063. thanks for your time and the knowledge you have freely given to me.       HEY this could take off.       butch                                       

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: school bows
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:39:00 pm »
A high school teacher in Hot Springs, SD opens the school woodshop on Sundays all winter long and has kids and adults scraping yeller wood into bows.  Last time I stopped in there were 24 bows in various stages of construction, by kids anywhere from 12 on up. 

I think your idea is great.  My bow rack is empty, but if I have one of the next ones come in a little light I'll see what I can do for you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline butch

Re: school bows
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:35 am »
thanks JW. if we want our sport to flourish we have to bring in our youth. i got the bows completed for my grandkids today and gave two for my daughter to take to the school. had a new thought, they are trying to take away our guns---- lets see them take away our bows. the young people have always been our future.    butch