Author Topic: 12 bundles of joy  (Read 5598 times)

Offline NTD

12 bundles of joy
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:50:02 am »
I've known one of my jungle carpet pythons was gravid for awhile now.  On saturday I palpated her and felt 10 eggs, well I was off by 2.  She laid 12 beautiful eggs for me tonight.  Not bad for a 12 year old girl.  My 25 year old Jungle Carpet laid as well this year, only 4 but hey she's 25....

Many Pythons are maternal incubators, I take them away and artificially incubate so I can get the moms feeding again and ready for next year, she didn't want to give them up though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:55:32 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline gstoneberg

Re: 12 bundles of joy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:16 am »
That is way cool!  She looks to have quite the grip on them.

George
St Paul, TX

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:25:25 pm »
That is way cool!  She looks to have quite the grip on them.

George

Aye - she looks quite possessive of them all right ;)

Congratulations Nate :) 

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:02:20 am »
congrats buddy.that is one cool snake,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Lemos

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:39:11 am »
Nice job,and a fine looking snake. Do you sell on the big reptile site (not sure if I'm supposed to metion other sites)

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:58:40 am »
wow, thats pretty cool!  shes got them all wrapped!  are reptile eggs leathery? they arent fragile like avian eggs?  im a bit behind!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 04:19:50 am »
Thanks guys.  I also ended up getting a nice clutch of 6 eggs from my Sand Monitors today too.  It's that time of year ;D  By June I should be overflowing with Babies.

Thanks Lemos, She is a good looking girl, and they aren't nearly their prettiest after laying eggs ;)  I'm guessing your talking about "Kingsnake", don't think it's a problem to mention, no competition to any vendors here LOL.  I don't do much selling there, though I have on occasion.  My JCP's are usually scooped up locally as soon as they get a meal or two in them.  We also have a Reptile show 2-3 months after most of my stuff is born so I usually don't have to market them.

Aero, Yep they are all wrapped but that part is easier than it seems.  The eggs adhere to each other shortly after being laid, so they stay in a big clump.  And yep they are leathery, no cracking really.  But unlike bird eggs you don't want to turn reptile eggs.  They have a small window after they are laid that being rolled around is fine but after that window closes you risk embryo death.

Here are the Sand Monitor eggs that I dug up this afternoon.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:56:27 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »
Nate you either have a really big house or a facility somewhere to keep all that cool stuff

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »
Hey Ken, I have a pretty decent sized house.  It has a "great" room that is kind of off from the main house, it's actually a remodeled 2 car garage about 325 Sq. ft. That's the my reptile room.
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:13:06 am »
Seeing her wrapped around her egg cluster is quite a sight.  Thanks for sharing, Nate. 

You are right, it's definitely that "time of year".  Today while out monitoring osprey nests I got to see a mated pair copulating.  I thought that was a once in a lifetime thing but half an hour later at another nest site another pair was going at it like bunnies.  I love my second (or is it third) job!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 12:40:03 am »
NTD, that's a beutiful snake and very educational. My class is going to the zoo tomorrow. Would you post more pics of your snakes on here? I would like to show them your snakes in the Smartbord..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 01:32:49 am »
JW, you don't know how I envy your ability to work with raptors.  Truly incredible animals 

Criver, Hope your class has a ball.  Any specific requests for reptile pics?
Nate Danforth

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 11:00:47 am »
NTD, that's a beutiful snake and very educational. My class is going to the zoo tomorrow. Would you post more pics of your snakes on here? I would like to show them your snakes in the Smartbord..

Did you look at this thread Cipriano?  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24645.0.html

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 12:28:22 pm »
My kids will like to see anything you have. They will oooo and awwwee at it all..

Thanks George.. That makes it easy to just click on it now.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline NTD

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:48:48 pm »
That would have been perfect for him George, except I was organziing my photobucket account the other day and because I moved them the links broke. 

Dang.  I'll try to post some good ones for you a little later.
Nate Danforth