Author Topic: Ironwood?  (Read 10423 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Ironwood?
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:56:22 pm »
I believe I have some Hophornbeam on my land. I checked it by looking at my National Audobon Society Field Guide. But I was wondering if any of you  might know something I could use as a for sure key to identify it?
 Nugget
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Ironwood?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:44:20 pm »
  Don't know.No pictures.What happened to mystery wood of the month?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:02:35 pm »
It has alternate leaves that look much like the ones on musclewood, but it usually always has shaggy, peely bark. The fruits look much like hops.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 11:48:56 pm »
Hornbean looks very similar, but not as shaggy of bark as hophornbean. Pappy has both on his place.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 12:04:21 am »
...Haven't put mystery wood of month together yet Eddie. Other things have been in the way............bob

Offline nugget

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:18:14 am »
After a little more investigation I think I was wrong. It is hornbean not hophornbean. It may still fool me . Either way it is getting cut down and made into a bow.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 01:21:07 pm »
Hornbeam usually has really smooth gray bark and the trees are usually fluted and muscley-looking near the base. It should make a good bow too if you can find one straight and untwisted enough for a stave.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27:32 pm »
This is straight and the bark is smooth with ridges that run around the girth of the tree real fine close together.The leaves the best i can tell are correct for hornbean . will take another gander today.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:23:06 pm »
Hillbilly ,what you are describing sounds like what we call Blue Beach has slick bark like a beach but ripples in it that looks like muscles, around here we call it mussel wood.The picture looks like hornbeam.Ryan called it American hornbean,I don't know for sure.I haven't seen a piece of
muscle wood or Blue Beach straight enough to make a bow unless you cut billets and splice it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:47:33 pm »
Pappy- blue beech, musclewood, ironwood, and American hornbeam are all common names for the same tree, Carpinus caroliniana. I've never found one straight enough for a stave yet, either.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 01:21:33 pm »
Pappy what you just described sounds just like what I have a bunch of on my property. I have found at least 5 trees that fit the desciption . They are about 8" to 10" around the outside diameter. I might be cutting and seasoning them here real shortly.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 01:39:52 pm »
Never built a bow from it ,but have hear it will work,So give it a go and let us know,should be ate up with character and I love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good