Author Topic: hazel shoot shafts and plains Indian style quiver  (Read 7459 times)

Offline backgardenbowyer

hazel shoot shafts and plains Indian style quiver
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:51 pm »
Just finished this quiver today - shown with some sticks from my first proper set of primitive arrows from hazel shoots. The shafts are about 3/8 at the head tapering down to 11/32 or 5/16 at the nock. I find this makes them very strong for field archery where my arrows tend to get a right hammering!  Spines comes out at about 50-55lbs, though I shoot them out of bows with weights in the mid 40s without too much trouble.  I've never been totally convinced that spine makes as much difference as many people say, perhaps a lot of it is about technique? The piles are ground down from 3/8 "medieval target" points made by Richard Head.  I tried just inserting a screw down the shaft for weight then grinding this to a point like a pencil - a trick borrowed fro my friend Mark.  The screw points fly well enough but the wood gets too damaged around the point (especially if you don't consistently hit that nice soft target!) so I needed something tougher.

The quiver is made from natural veg tanned suede which I have waxed

Anyway, I'm enjoying the arrows (got about a dozen now) and am looking forward to using the quiver at the weekend. 

The bow shown is my first osage bow - 46@27 about 65" between the nocks, linen string, and also hanging on my bow rack.

Thanks for looking - comments and suggestions welcome!

Stan

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: hazel shoot shafts and plains Indian style quiver
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:20:56 am »
dang good job on that set !

Offline natureboyfloyd

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:21:47 am »
Taken as a whole, the equipment looks lean, mean, and simply efficient.
My leather quiver has a stiffner in the interior, attached to an insert that shields the broadheads.  However, otherwise, your quiver looks much like mine.

Likewise, on my first and only three wood arrows, I tapered from 11/32 to @ 5/16, for your reasons.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:05:55 pm »
Everything looks great, nicely done!  How'd you get your Osage - You're in England?
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:19:37 pm »
Nice set.  Natural tapered shafts are quite spine tollerent. The natural taper helps with this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 03:41:50 am »

By Jove, Governor; :o
 Well done!  Beautiful, arrows, quiver, and bow! :o 8)  As I understand it, if you are shooting a center shot bow, spine is not as critical as it would be for an English Long Bow. Being that the arrow does not have to bend around the bow, and then straighten out in flight.   Also length of the arrow, can make a difference .

Wayne

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:45 pm »
very nicely done, sir.  There's nothing NOT to like about it...