Author Topic: Side Quiver Build-along (*Finished*)  (Read 29388 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Side/Back Quiver Build-along
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:34 pm »
Well I got some time this afternoon to get some more done.  I finished stitching the accent pieces on (my least favorite part of the job).

Then I started wondering about how I was going to attach the strap.  I decided on using these rings I had, but had to do a bit of carving to countersink it into the leather, because otherwise the screw posts I wanted to use instead of rivets would have been too short.

I got the ring put in and added another screw post to help hold it together.

For the other end of the strap, I stitched a short piece of the strap to the bottom of the side opening.  At this piont, I cut a 1/2 inch wide strip of latigo and glued it around the inside circumference of the hole in the bottom.  This will keep the bottom from falling out when it's inserted.  I held it in place with a measuring cup that just happened to be the right diameter while it dried.

Next I took a 3/4" latigo strap, rounded the ends and beveled the edges, punched some holes, and attached to the quiver with a couple more screw posts.  I love these things - much more easy to remove than rivets :)

And that's where it's at.  Still gotta put a bottom in, but that won't take long.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:27:36 pm »
Plain & simple dude...you ROCK~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline razorbak

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 01:36:38 am »
looks good bud..when layed flat...reminds me of a tapestry I seen in Germany in a museum when I lived there....coming out real nice..gonna do the bottom like we discuss..didnt see the retaining strip inside of the leather to hold the plug...either way..your  gonna make  that look  ;)sweet

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 11:23:26 am »
You are doing a great job!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 10:14:20 pm »
Thanks guys  ;D

Got this sucker finished up today.  Last night I set the bottom end on a piece of paper and traced inside the bottom opening to make a pattern for the bottom.  I added about 1/8" around the outside of the pattern so that when I put it in, the bottom would sit on top the strip of leather I glued in before.  I transfered the pattern onto a piece of 2x4 that I ripped about 3/8 thick on the tablesaw and roughed it out, and finished sanding on the belt sander.  This took a bit of back-and-forth to get the right fit because I wanted it to fit tight.  After that was done I cut a piece of latigo the same size and glued it on, letting it dry overnight.  I cut a piece of foam (about 1/2 inch thick) slightly oversized again, so that it was a friction fit.

Here's a close up of the bottom.

And one last picture to show how it ballances.  It sits real nice on the shoulder.  When I first started this I was going to make a harness that could be used to make it a back quiver as well, but I prefer a side quiver anyway, and will probably use a bow quiver when hunting, so this is good enough.

Thanks for following along.

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Side Quiver Build-along (*Finished*)
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 11:05:18 pm »
Incredibly nice Cameroo, looks alot nicer than the ones for sale for $135-.150 on the archery stores. 
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline razorbak

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 02:52:11 am »
did awesome Cam...came out perfect ;D....on the glued strip...you might want to stitch it...over time the glue will wear from removal of insert and such

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 03:03:38 am »
Thanks Erik, that's what I was going for :)

Thanks Art, I might have to do that.  There just happens to be a groove carved there anyway :)  My fingers just needed a break from pulling threads though, got a few cuts in the process!

If anyone would like a pattern, I could probably scan it in sections and email it.  Just send me a P.M.

Offline uwe

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 04:56:02 pm »
Cool quiver! I agree with Eric the Viking.
Regards Uwe

Offline uwe

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »
Cool quiver! I agree with Eric the Viking.
Regards Uwe

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »
Great work!
Frank from Germany...

Offline razorbak

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 12:57:34 am »
Cam....I still like it alot....jusr AWESOME ;D

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 12:30:01 am »
I love this! PM Sent!  ;D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 03:15:37 pm »
Just got the email! Thanks man! This will truly rock the my friends worlds  >:D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 05:21:35 pm »
Cam, you really do great work.  Very nice.

George
St Paul, TX