Author Topic: what is to heavy  (Read 13816 times)

Offline boo

what is to heavy
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:03:39 pm »
im forging me some points and broad heads and was wondering what yall think is the heaviest head i can get away with? im haveing trouble getting below 200gr. thanks  boo
Boo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: what is to heavy
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:17:42 pm »
200 grains is getting fairly heavy for a point unless you're shooting at armored Frenchmen ;D It would smack the crap out of a deer, though. The typical field point is 125 gr. and broadheads anywhere from 100 to 150-60 gr. Try 'em and see how they shoot-200 gr. would probably be good hunting points for a heavyweight bow..
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 07:03:19 pm »
I have seen modern points at 200 grains. Don't remember where, but I know I've seen 'um.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:51:08 pm »
..............Ole' grizzly steel broadheads were 190 gr. Don't know if they still make them, maybe Kustom King Archery has 'em........bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 08:50:33 pm »
James Parker uses stone points strapped on carbon arrows that weigh around 240 grs
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:56:57 pm »
The heaviest point found in the mouintains here in Norway, dating to the middle ages, is weighing 787 grains :)
It was for hunting reindeer. The average were 350 grains.

Offline boo

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:19:53 pm »
how many gr is 1/2 oz? thats what i have them down to now. i went ahead and glued them on my sourwood shafts to try tomarrow. im shooting about 60lbs. ill let you know what happends. bobby
Boo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:41:24 pm »
I think 1/2 oz. would be about 219 grains.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:05:53 am »
An ounce is 437.5 grs! ;D   
   Bobby, There is probably some guys on the War Bow thread that would be interested in medieval bodkin point and such. They like them heavy! ;D
   Are you making trade points? Tie on type.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 07:24:52 am »
weight doesnt matter. flight and your ability to hit the mark matter. i shoot well over 10gr per pound usually 100 grains over what most shoot. with heavy heads a stiffer shaft is definetly a must. peace

Offline boo

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 09:16:51 pm »
pat i am makeing points with a socket that glues on but with the socket as small as i can get it the point is still well over 200gr.i was trying to leave as much steel as posible to try and forge a broad head out of the point but at 1/2 oz the point is to small to make a legal head. my thingking was to make a glue on broad head but there is no way to forge one under 200gr. im going to forge some trade points and see how that goes. i can make the glue on points less gr so ill just have glue on field points and trade point broadheads.at least it will all be hand made .

jamie im shooting 45-50 spine arrows so yes i guess i could shoot some 65-70 or even higher and make the point work but man that would be a heavy arrow and that would change everything. id have to learn to shoot all over again. but ill try one and see what happends, it might be a pleasant suprise? you never know. bobby
Boo

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 12:30:08 am »
Unless you are shooting an English warbow, I would imagine it would be difficult to forge broadheads of an appropriate size & weight.  However, you could probably forge some nice atlatl points.  As for broadheads, I would recommend Glen Parkers chapter on Steel points in the Traditional Bowyer's Bible v2.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 12:40:57 pm »
Could you maybe forge the broadhead blade and braze it onto a ferrule of lighter material?
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 11:43:07 am »
I use some 160 grain trade points out of a 52/53 lb bow the shoot really well,never tried any heaver but out of 60 I would think 200 would be OK.I like the heavy head lot better pentration
you can really tell the difference. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 02:33:02 pm »
how many gr is 1/2 oz? thats what i have them down to now. i went ahead and glued them on my sourwood shafts to try tomarrow. im shooting about 60lbs. ill let you know what happends. bobby

Here is a good site for conversion of any weights or whatever. I use it all the time to convert to grains as the only scale I have is in Oz.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/ounces-to-grains.htm

N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere