Author Topic: other things i'm working on  (Read 1526 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
other things i'm working on
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:51:19 am »
thought i would take some pics of the things i'm working on!  1 st another hickory bow 72" t2t 1.75 at handle fade out 2 12 inches from fade tapering to 3/4" tips for now!
doc

Offline jturkey

Re: other things i'm working on
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:53:32 am »
2nd maple 69"t2t well wide sapling bow over 2 inches @ the fade tapering to 3/4" at tips.
doc

Offline jturkey

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:54:54 am »
3rd just trying it a sweet gum sapling bow that i have cut due to its location. next to a power line. well over 2 inces almost all the way through getting dry really fast .
doc

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:20:23 am »
Good lookin wood.I rough out some of mine too to hurry the drying.Usually takes me about 6 weeks before I get a bow.Thats at 40% humidity and 75 degrees.A fan can help too,but not too much in the beginning,but it works by God.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:23:45 am »
Forgot,I like the hickory.Don't know about the others.How did your first hickory turn out?I've only made them from hedge and a couple of red elm of which one broke.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jturkey

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 01:31:51 pm »
this is my first time working with hickory and i'm taking my time it has cured about 7 weeks now at these dimiensions and a also had it in a hot box for several days at 100 degrees so it should work out fine sweetgum i was told would not make a great bow but i just wanted to try it. the maple will make a good bow if I dont mess it up. too bad but we will see. i am working on a hickory molly as well it is already on the tree and got it to brace height.
doc