Author Topic: Penobscot  (Read 6818 times)

~JM~

Penobscot
« on: June 08, 2007, 11:18:13 pm »
I’ve been interested in this bow for a while now and I’m wondering if it’s worth all the effort, I mean, adjusting the back bow…does it really make for a sweet shooting bow?  Does it really cast a heavier grain arrow then a regular selfbow?  Does it feel like you’re pulling a 45# when it’s 65#?

Thanks.

j

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Penobscot
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:54:31 pm »
Marc St Louis built a beautiful example of a Penobscot bow a few years ago that was sleek and fast looking. Most of the others I've seen looked bulky and slow. I've never built one or shot one so I'm only speculating. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:02:21 am »
There are several articles in the past issues of PA. A lot of good info in the articles.  After reading them, I want to build one.  Most of the ones in the magazine look pretty good.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 12:18:54 am »
  Marc said he didn't notice any advantage as far as speed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 02:48:05 am »
I have made double bows. Only advantage that I see in them is you can adjust bow weight, and no doubt are a conversation piece.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:58:56 am »
The following is just my opinion:-
No no no no no!  >:(
It will never " feel like you’re pulling a 45# when it’s 65#"  >:(

However, it may feel like you are pulling 65# when you are pulling 45#tho'  :o ;)
Someone at sometime put forward this idea that it is somehow "like a compound" whereas it is the opposite!
When the second bow starts working the draw weight will increase not let off.

In the interests of fairness, I've never made one (nor do I plan to) and I dare say when made and set up by a skillful bowyer it will doubtless work just fine.
But it is never going to give any sort of let off as far as I can see.
I'm willing to be shown to be wrong if someone can show a force draw curve and explanation of how it is working.
Del
Some may think they are an abomination... I couldn't possibly comment  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:02:04 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:57:14 am »
I made 3 of them and the 3rd was slimmed down and alot better than the first two . I am in Dels school of thought.it was a novelity that brought alot of inquiries but for advantages as far as shooting and performance there was none.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:41:43 pm »
The performance gain I found. Is if you make a bow that turns out too light. Add a backer bow and you can up the draw weight and get approx the performance of a normal bow pulling that weight. Just more bulk and mass to do it.

Kyle

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:05:38 am »
I have found no benefit of the design..added weight and tillering issues .. not worth it IMO... gut