Author Topic: Turkey Miss  (Read 1957 times)

Offline chasing crow

Turkey Miss
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:01:03 pm »
I have not been able to shoot much due to other commitments and just plain BAD WEATHER! Shot about 100 arrows a couple of weeks ago for some well needed practice and general stress relief. Tha weather finally looked good for Saturday morning (37 and dry). I headed to the woods and was just about to the brush blind I intended to use, when I noticed several turkeys roosted just across the "river" and in plain sight against the first sign of light in the morning sky. I could not get to my blind without being detected and I quietly retreated to my 2nd choice of blinds about 25 yds to my back trail. I settled in and hit my slate call a few times to be answered by gobblers to my left, just across a small creek. The roosted birds in front of me were now out of my sight but were making no sounds and had not flown down. After about 20 min. a couple of hens in the bunch across the river finally started talking. I yellped once and one came flying right in front of me and across the stream to my left into a field which I CAN NOT HUNT! Minor problem with this hunting spot. Worried that the bunch would follow, I called quickly one more time and was rewarded with  another hen flying in about 25 yd to my right and in sight. Hoping a male would follow, I kept my eyes on her and stayed frozen. A few seconds later, I caught movement comming from behind me and to my left. I rolled my eyes left to see a big Tom about 7 yds to my left strutting in search of a friend. He turned toward the hen and was passing in front of me at 5 yds out!! I usually use this blind with my Flint smoothbore and it isn't perfect for bow thus my only choice was to draw while rising and snap off a shot with my osage longbow. He looked at me as my trade point tipped poppler shoot arrow passed just over his back! He turned back to his trail and continued walking to the hen while checking back at me every other step.

I watched them both leisurly walk off into the brush. I stayed set hoping to get another chance another day. No dinner but a great morning in the woods!   
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Turkey Miss
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:07:39 pm »
Just getting the chance with the primitive stuff is great accomplishment....well done
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:30 pm »
    I agree I thought I was the olny one who turkey hunted with selfbows. Iknow I'm the only one in BERELY CO. WV. I started 21 years ago just think of the looks I got when I ran into another hunter people did'bt even know what a self bow was around here then. And longhunters right just getting this close to a gobbler and getting a shot with a self bow is a feat not many will know. Keep at it it can happen I've kill 12 and shot 3 others I could'nt find with self bows.
  A couple things that helps me.
 I like to set up where the gobble has to go past me a logging road cow trail sattles,gate opening break between rocks anything a gobbler has to go past where I can get behind. I use bottle necks just like deer hunting. I'll set up with my back to the bird where he has to go past me. Use'lly put a dercoy again little past me on the trail bottle neck. Where he  has to go past me where his atention is on the decoy and not me drawing. ALWAYS SET UP WITH YOUR BACK TOP THE GOBBLER. REMEMBER IT YOU CAN SEE HIM HE CAN SEE YOU. PLUS YOUR CALLS SOUND FATHUR AWAY THAN YOU REALLY ARE. I f there no trail ,bottle neck I like to set up on the back side of a little rise. This also helps to muffle your calls and pin point you to the spot add decoys when he tops the hill let your decoys to the calling shut up when he see's the decoys. After I know he's see the decoys only purr a little leaf scratching don't yelp the sees your decoys and know there there you stay unknow. I've used a home made ghillie sence 82 get a ghillie. TURKEYS see depeth perception.
nd day of season. Only thing . GOOD LUCK
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »
If he walked off liesurely then he maybe didn't pick up on the danger.  He might not have learned his lesson from you and I'd be willing to bet he is still killable.  Thanks for sharing, good luck next time!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 01:13:55 am »
Great story...better luck next time.  Sounded like a exciting hunt. Thats what I love about turkey hunting...its so unpredictable to what might happen

Jon

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:57 pm »
Thanks guys, and yes JW, I think he is still getable! I hope to get back to it Saturday. I changed my setup to give a better chance. We'll see.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:56:16 pm »
Think of it as a dress rehearsal!  Now that the bird knows his lines and blocking you are ready for the curtain to go up.  Or maybe I should say ready for the curtain to come DOWN!

Yee-haw!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.