Author Topic: Short, Fast and Powerful?  (Read 9687 times)

~JM~

Short, Fast and Powerful?
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:34:16 pm »
Hey folks, which short self bow design would you consider to be fast and powerful?  I did a search on this forum and found an Indian design that was [I think] something like 52" and 50-55#.  Any suggestions? 

Offline Badger

Re: Short, Fast and Powerful?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 01:06:01 pm »
JM, one of the guys in my group, Tom Mills, build allmost all short bows, they are pretty quick with short draws of about 20". I think the secret is for short bows is to build it with zero set. Keep tillering until you have just a whisper of set from it's original profile and then stop. I have always been really impressed with his shorties. Have made a few nice ones myself. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:47:05 pm »
Steve, are Tom's bows sinew backed?   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 03:59:54 pm »
  Justin, some are and some are not, he makes them from local woods in the near by mountains. Surprising how fast they are for such a short draw length. Steve

Trapper

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:14:32 pm »
I myself love the little short fast bows I make quit a few myself , but I dont sell many, it seems everyone want a full draw bow , They always, even if I state the draw length is 22 in. they still ask if they can draw them to 28in. it just blows my mind , I always tell customers that you have to learn how to draw short and that just seems to go right over there heads.   You have to learn to shoot a wood bow the way it likes to be shot , you can learn to do it , but you cant teach a peice of wood, to shoot the way you like to shoot. you have to shoot it the way it likes.   Trapper

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:40:26 pm »
                 Ah yes Trapper !  AMEN ta that ! ;) ;D..bob

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:08:22 pm »
@Trapper
I agree totally!
Here in Germany so many people draw 30 inches an more ::) ???

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 08:09:13 pm »
Trapper- so true! But I still can't get over why some people think wood can go so far, even if it isn't built that way, but they'll take a fiberglass bow's dimensions for law ???. Happens so often it makes me wonder...

Learning to draw short is easy. Learning to get over exploding limbs isn't so much ;D!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 12:07:15 pm »
With a short bow, you will encounter a couple of thigns that might limit your performance.

One is string angle at the tips, when you approach 90 degrees there you start to lose your lever effect and the bow begins stacking.  YOu can get around this with a slight flip of the tips, this uses more length though and reduces working limb length.  So you want to keep those as short as possible.

Second, is limited amount of working limb.  This means you are really stressing your bow wood for a given poundage.  Nothing wrong with that but it means tiller has to be more nearly perfect since it will be easy to overstress an area.  One way around this, is to make a bendy handle bow.  that way you aren't wasting valuable length on a nonworking handle.  Another way to go is to make the bow limbs as wide as you can, this gives more wood but there comes a point where you can get too wide for an easy tiller.  Wide means thin, and thin means a very touchy thickness taper.

I've generally had success with the rule of thumb of "working limb length nearly equal to draw length".  That means 27x2=54" for my 27" draw.  You can cheat that as much as you want, of course.  The probability of success (Paul Comstock's phrase) just goes down incrementally.  I'd also incorporate flipped tips and select an appropriate width to go with my wood choice.

As for 55lb being powerful, that is generally considered enough to hunt whitetails and anything smaller.  I think the consensus is 60 and up for elk, both because of the animal's size and the fact that the typical shot is from a longer distance.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 12:17:11 pm »
I noticed when I made my first short(60" is short for me) bow,an osage static recurve self bow, that it took me a while to get to where I was confident enough to use it for hunting. Getting consistant with a shorter bow was difficult for me and it took most of the summer to feel good about it. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

a finnish native

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 12:41:15 pm »
I am totally with trapper here. if your draw is 28 then don't even bother trying to make a 52 selfbow. it will not work!  a bow is made for the drawlenght that the bow allows, not what the shooter usually pulls. I always use th "2.3 rule" so basically if your bow is 66" the you devide 66 with 2,3. the you end up with 28,6.." if your bow is to be 52" the drawlenght is a hinch over 22". with sinew backed ones I devide by 2. and with horn composites by 1,5.
A bow of 25 is faster with 22" draw that with 28" draw.