Author Topic: Shortbow builders  (Read 109775 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Shortbow builders
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 12:03:43 am »
take them Lee ,dont ever turn wood down . those slabs can be milled into 1/4 sawn boards just turn and cut cross the rings

Offline bubby

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 04:18:13 am »
Ken, I was thinking that on short bows a gullwing will give ya a longer draw with less strain on the back because of the deflexed tips, mine is 54" ntn 40# # 29" but is white oak backed white oak, lamed it to glue in the profile, so it don't fit the parameters, I'm interested to see if anyones got a self bow that style and design and what their thoughts are, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:10 am »
 bubby...I'm not ken, but I can say this. I don't know how long it's going to take, but I'm making a white oak shorty. unbacked and quartersawn. My dimensions are going to be  1 1/4" x4" grip with 2" fades out to 2" wide tapering to 3/4 at the tip. then 1" tapering to approx3/8 at tips. It will bend through the handle if possable
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:14:12 am by hillbilly61 »
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 09:38:05 am »
i know these have been seen but they are good examples of what hickory can do, and how flippin tips can reduce stack , making it a good design choice .first one was recent 54 inches tip to tip and the second one was a while back also 54 inches tip to tip with statics.both are 1 3/4 wide near grip and have been trapped , adequate width and trappin being crucial to equal hickories forces

What do you mean by "trapped?" I like your thread.  What a good idea.  I make sinew backed shorties, now I'm gonna have to do a self shorty.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 10:30:18 am »
Matt, trapping is the process of cutting the sides of the limb at an angle so either the back is narrower than the belly or the belly is narrower than the back.  If you cut through the limb and looked at it from the end it is in a trapezoid shape, hence the term trapped.  It is helpful when you have wood which is much better at tension than compression, or vice versa.  It's also helpful when you laminate with 2 woods of unequal strengths and need to keep one from overpowering the other.

Lee, I agree with Ken. Slabs are normally the pieces cut off a round log at the sawmill to square it off prior to cutting dimensional lumber.  Depending on the tree, there can be lots of good wood or not so much.  There's usually some slope to the slab (the top end of the tree being smaller diameter than the bottom) as well.  Hopefully you can pick through what they have and get some good stuff.  When I'm working wood like that I lay the cut side on the bandsaw table and snap a chalkline where the wood that's deep enough starts.  After you cut on that line you can use a rip fence and rip rift sawn boards until the center cut which will be quartersawn.  Also, hardwood slabs make good hide fleshing boards since they have a nice curve to them.  You probably already know all this.

My only bow contribution to this thread is this 52" osage molly.  It draws 55#@26" but I think it has more draw length left.  It has some set, some of which was present in the stave.  I heat bent it out and it came right back so I left it.  It is about 3/16" thick and an inch and an eighth wide over the working part of the bow.

I've toyed with bending some recurve into the levers to see if I could get a little more draw length out of her.  Given that we're experimenting I think I'll do that.  The other thing I could do is continue taking off thickness until I get to full draw or the bow fails.  It does have one good knot in the working limb.  I expect it to give up at that spot.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gmc

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 01:10:23 pm »
Cool Thread.

Pushing the limits of design depends a lot on the quality of the individual stave at the time. Actually, I think it has more to do with it than we bow builders give credit. If you build enough bows you will quickly find some favorites to abuse but there is always those exceptions that defy gravity.

This little piece of Hickory pulls half its length @ 28 and has only lost a little reflex over time. Btw, its only 1 3/8 wide through the handle. One of the fastest bows on my rack.

Central Kentucky

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 02:26:36 pm »
What a cool thread Ken.  nice bows everyone!  I want to get in on this too as I've been wanting to try a short bow for a while.  My shortest to date is 60" which I don't think counts as "short" does it?   I hope I can get the time to work on one soon.  I have 3 other bows in progress right now that I need to finish....   I'll be watching this thread..
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline aero86

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 02:38:07 pm »
i dont know if i have any to contribute, but ill post the one shorty i made.  it was red oak, with a 3.5 inch handle, with 1 inch fades.  sure dont remember the dimensions of the width, but it was 55 inches long before i glued on some 3 inch siyahs at a 45 degree angle.  i got 27 inches of draw out of it, which i was surprised with.  think it was 42lbs or so.  it shot really well, i need to build another.  pretty much depends on the proper tiller i believe and getting it to bend evenly.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:22 pm »
This an osage with rawhide and water snake skin backing. 45 long ntn 45# 25 , linen string, sellak finish.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:21:44 pm by fusizoli »

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »
& just a pic from two other :)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 06:31:24 pm »
Man oh man guys, some seriously nice work showing up here today.  I think the only down side to this site is that the list of bows I want/need to build keeps getting longer & longer!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline dbb

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »
I agree with Lee!
I see bowmodels i didnt know existed a few month ago.Really like the lower on the last pic,resembles a russels viper a bit...
Im happy i started my archery with one of those "trainingwheel"bows and progressed to real bows and not the other way around...
Because i would have missed all this then :D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 09:50:28 pm »
bubby your right about the gull winged bows ,ive built two that were 48 inches and full drawed but they were backed bows so i wont show them here !
George thanks for showing your bow that puts another osage shorty on here
gmc as always very nice bow and a great example of what hickory can achieve with good density and an excellent bowyer
fusizoli very beautiful bows

lets keep these unbacked selfbows for the sake of learning about the wood

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 12:58:23 am »
Fusizoli.. WOW!!! :o
Genesis 27: 3

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 02:50:00 am »
Found this one in the archives,

It's from awhile back

unbacked yew heartwood.  50 inch tip to tip.  48lbs at 26 inch.  stiff handle.  I have since flipped the tips and retilled it out to 26 again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:57:21 am by ravenbeak »
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com