Author Topic: I'm baffled  (Read 5230 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
I'm baffled
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:52:56 am »
I'm trying to find some arrows to shoot good out of the Horn bow I got from James Parker.The bow is fluctuating between 53 and 56# depending on the heat and humidity. I'm shooting off the right side of the bow, no rest and the handle is 1 1/4".

I've tried 35/55 carbon, Tonkin #70 with 33" arrows and 125 grn points. Cane, 125# grn points, 32" 65#. And the best I found was Grizzley Sticks @ 75# barreled tapered with 125 grn points, they flew slow, but like darts.

I've got some Hill Cane I've straightened tonight, and left them at 36". I'm wanting to Bare shaft them to get them right. Can somebody get me in the ball park and save me some time?

The problem I've had with all the arrows except the Grizzley Sticks was they would swish side to side. they would still hit the target straight and where I was aiming.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

Re: I'm baffled
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:59:38 am »
  Are you using a thumb ring? I never got used to a thumb ring so shoot mine off the left side of the bow just like any other bow. Thumg ring might help the release.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:02:19 am »
Steve, yea, I'm shooting a thumb ring. And I've gotten pretty used to it. I hit 16 out of 20 targets at the Tenn. Classic trying it on the range.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 01:04:12 am »
Steve....He's using a Thumb Ring and shooting from the right side....Good Luck Eddie...that's a lot of Riser to shoot around...you are going to get a lot of Parallax...as long as the Arrows are hitting straight...not angled left or right....and hitting point of aim what more can You ask for?  
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:04:39 am »
Guess we posted at the same time!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:11:58 am »
Mike, I shoot through heavy brush down here sometimes. I have very small openings and an arrow sliding back and forth, not staightening up quick will slap off the grape vines and other brush.
i want an arrow that will straighten up right after it leaves the bow.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 01:36:05 am »
The Only Arrow I can get to shoot straight through my Hun Horse Bow with little to no Parallax are Carbon Express CXL250's....but these are Fat Shafts....but also very responsive...I used to use these in the Tri-State Competition Shoots with my Bowtech...when I used to Shoot for them...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:42:09 am »
I don't have a problem with any of my other horse bows. And James said he might have to work with me on throwing my left hand? But, I really think shooting a tapered shaft will help a lot.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 01:42:53 am »
Eddie, the hill cane has a pretty good amount of taper and that and the canes weight forwardness ( ???)  might help with the problem. Plus cane has pretty fast recovery time. If you need some larger(diameter and length) canes I can probably find a few along the creek.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 02:45:35 am »
Pat, thanks, but I think what you gave me should work. They are about 4' long and it gives me a lot to work with. I was kinda hoping Art would come on and give me the magic answer. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 03:20:40 am »
If anyone knows, Art knows!...and he knows and loves hill cane!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:05 am »
James traded me some Japanese arrow bamboo and some of it is too stiff for my bows.  Maybe that's the tonkin you were talking about?  Anyway, you're welcome to it if it would help.  It is quite long.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:45 am »
Hi Eddie, just saw this. This is something new to me so I may not be much help. Never shot one of those contraptions, much less used a thumb ring.

First thing I noticed is that a loose grip won't help much since the bow isn't  being moved away from the palm, but rather into it shooting off the right side. Is that what James is referring to by "throwing the left hand"?

I agree, longer tapered shafts will help a lot. The Japanese boo has one of the faster taper I've seen and would be a good match for that width handle.

Just curious, how are you orienting the nodes?

You do know that you need a "LEFT-HANDED" arrow for that bow don't you? :o  Art

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 01:53:32 pm »
Hi Art. I think throwing or pushing the bow is moving it forward at the release. I've placed the nodes or stiff side against the handle.

I've been shooting the Jap arrow boo arrows I got from you about 2 years ago with a 55# spline and they aren't working. I straightened six hill cane shafts last night so I'm going to try and work an arrow up with it.

What do you mean by a left hand arrow?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 03:24:06 pm »
Most times a shift will have several stiff sides which needs to be oriented correctly for best flight Eddie. Sometimes we can do everything right on these natural shafts and they still don't fly right. Doesn't mean we done anything wrong, just that it's particular oriention may be better suited for the opposite hand. Orient a shaft for a right-handed shooter and it may not fly very well for a left-handed shooter.

Just like cedar arrows, you orient the rifts/runout/fletching correctly for one hand, and a opposite handed shooter flips the arrow over screwing up that oriention. So yeah, you would make up cedar shafts with runouts for the hand to be used. Same for natural shaft arrow made from hardwood shoots or cane/boo. Here you're orienting the stiff/weak sides instead of runouts. You however get the same effects, oriention gets screwed up.

So those right-handed boo arrows I made for you will probably not shoot as well as they could.......Art