Author Topic: North Dakota hunting?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Boofus

North Dakota hunting?
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »
So it sounds like i'll be headed to North Dakota for my next assignment (Grand Forks) Has anyone hunted there? I'm wondering how the bowhunting would be there... ::)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: North Dakota hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:58:31 am »
Grand Forks is in the Red River Valley and it's literally flat as a pancake.  It used to be the bed for Lake Agassiz back after the last Ice Age and has very little terrain.  BUT, there are thousands of little farmsteads all over the countryside and everyone of them has shelter belts and tree rows around the old homestead.  Those can provide excellent places to put up stands.  Not much for spot and stalk, though. 

I come from further west in NoDak and have never hunted the eastern side, but I imagine the classic rules still apply...talk to landowners, develop trust and a relationship, THEN broach the subject of hunting.  If you have a particularly ugly and/or beautiful primitive bow, bring it along to start the conversation.  It might help to show him how well it shoots by dropping a few arrows in a tight group just to prove you aren;t there to wound animal after animal.  Get to know your local Conservation Officers as well.  I still trade Christmas cards with several in NoDak even though I moved away from there 15 yrs ago. 

Good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Boofus

Re: North Dakota hunting?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »
Thanks JW! I was afraid of that, I love spot and stalk hunting!  Really wish the military would just send me back to Ellsworth AFB... I loved hunting up in the Black Hills!  This flat ground bowhunting out in NoDak should prove quite the challenge...