Author Topic: 100yr old R/D Fencepost Bow (finished!!!)  (Read 26385 times)

Offline Will H

Re: Reflex/Deflex??? (Tiller Check Please!!!)
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 11:42:52 pm »
Thanks for the help to guys! I got it tillered to 27", shaped the handle and tips and put close to 100 shots through her this afternoon!! Man this bow shoots awesome!! I was originally thinking about puttin copperhead skins on but the color of this wood is to beautiful to cover up! Ill post some pics when I get her all slicked up...Thank you guys for all the help! I almost cant believe I got this 100yr old wood to shoot!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 11:22:45 am »
Bugs and worms are the worst enemy to Hedge (osage) or any wood for that matter. I've found worms in some red oak and white oak rough cut boards that I've used as handle blocks.

I've left osage logs lay out on the ground for 6-8 months went back and picked them up, carried them home and cut the end off with a chainsaw and they still had sap in them!
Osage will last more than our lifetime without rotting away as long as the bugs don't get it. That's why so many old timers made fence posts out of it cause they knew they would never need to set another fence post in their lifetime. The wire will rust completely away before the post rots.

I'm anxious to see the finished pics of your bow Will, your a more determined fellar than I am I'll give ya that!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 04:03:10 am »
Will,

That's  a great build. It it too purty to cover up. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Will H

Re: Reflex/Deflex??? (Almost Finished!!!!)
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 05:06:00 pm »
 ;D Well I got her just about finished up! I ran close to 1000 arrows through it after sanding then burnished the whole bow with an antler the other day. Since then Ive put two coats of Tru-Oil on and MAN is she lookin purty! I still have to do the lettering and handle but I couldnt help takin a couple pics today...Its amazing to me that those old rotten lookin fenceposts I pulled out of the ground finished out with such incredible grain! BURIED GOLD I TELL YA!!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:12:19 pm by Will H »
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Will H

Re: Reflex/Deflex??? (Almost Finished!!!)
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
Heres a couple more...Ill post again when I get done.  ;D ;D ;D Thanks for lookin!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:14:22 pm by Will H »
           Clarksville, Tennessee

HatchA

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »
Oh man...

OH MAN!!!!!!!

You were DEAD RIGHT to add the "new" Osage strip to bulk up the riser/handle area...  The contrast is beautiful!!

Very good choice of background for the pic's - next to playing, it's about the best use of a guitar that I've ever seen!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished pic's ;)

Offline Will H

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 05:19:34 pm »
Thanks HatchA! I thought it would be a good example of how osage reacts to sunlight. Turned out better than I had hoped!
           Clarksville, Tennessee

blackhawk

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »
Nice teaser....now I can't wait to see the rest of her all finished up :)

Offline dbb

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 06:32:17 pm »
A real beauty...no need to say anything else.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »
How did you sand the limbs and not have it turn back to yellow?  I've built many fencepost bows and never had one stay that color?  I agree it is stunning, but I'm baffled how it would do that.  Never has for me.  Anyway, it is lovely, you did a great job.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 07:23:38 pm »
Very nice there Will, can't believe a piece of osage that old made a bow that sweet. good job
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline johnston

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 07:36:17 pm »
Will that is about as good as it gets. You did good,man, real good.

Good eye there Hatch.

Lane

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 07:55:28 pm »
WOW!!!  Truly amazing :o
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 08:49:21 pm »
That's a fine looking bow.  Waiting for the money shot.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 09:01:21 pm »
Very nice Will, very nice indeed! I love that yellow handle section, that adds just the right amount of flair to it along with the tip overlays. She's all perty and ready to go to the big dance now!  8)

I love the story behind it also and the pic of a lonely old fence post in the woods just off the edge of a field. Patiently waiting for the day that the right young man would come along and pluck it from the ground and take it home.
If only objects could talk, what a story that old hedge post would have to tell.  ;)
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32