Author Topic: What tools do I need?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
What tools do I need?
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:21:01 am »
I spent a little tome in the pit at the classic talking to Shannon and learned a little. I spent the last couple evenings breaking rock with a hammer stone. I ended up with some decent spalls I guess.

Any way I want to make a bopper. What do I need and do I do it. What other basic tools do I need to make? I have a heavy leather pad and a small pressure flaker. I just want to make heads to hunt with but I got alot to learn and I figure you fellers will get me there.

Thanks, Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: What tools do I need?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:40:13 am »
Hey sticks: Sounds like you got a pretty good start. Don't know if your into abo or modern. But you'll need different size boppers either stone, antler, copper, wood and I'm sure there's others. I find that stone works well for my heavier spalling then I go to copper for the fine tuning. Once you get em thin enough you'll want to move on to antler, ulnas, copper wire among others I imagine for the pressure work ;D. There's so many ways out there to work rock that it's hard to mention them all..

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:24 am »
Look up paleomanjim on youtube.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:14:22 am »
Cowboy, everything you said is greek to me. LOL I don't any of the terms for any of this rock breaking stuff. I don't know any of the techniques either. I got a long way to go and a short time to get there. I would like to make a few heads to deer hunt with this fall.

How thin do I need to get my spalls for a head around 145 grains and still have a good strong head. I do understand the conchoidal fracture thing and the hertzian cone. I just need to figure out how to get my breaks to go where I want them to and learn how to read my rocks.

Like I said, Along way to go.
 I'll have a look at paleoman Jim. thanks for the help guys and keep it coming. Any leads on any info would be appreciated.

Stiks
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:39:06 am »
Here's a few of my tools stick. Different size boppers, diff abrading stones, ishi's, hand flaker, hand pad -- I took this picture so long ago things have evolved since then but you get the picture. You will evolve too if all ya want is to make a hunting point - that's where I started ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:09 pm »
I made me a couple 1" boppers and an ishi stick today. I need to see some pics of tips on some flakers so I know how to shape my tips on my flakers. I have two 1" boppers of different weights, an ishi stick, a couple bison leather pads and a couple hammer stones. Also got some abraders and one of those grooved deals for pressure flakeing.

I just need to start breaking some rocks!

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:48 pm »
I made me a couple 1" boppers and an ishi stick today. I need to see some pics of tips on some flakers so I know how to shape my tips on my flakers. I have two 1" boppers of different weights, an ishi stick, a couple bison leather pads and a couple hammer stones. Also got some abraders and one of those grooved deals for pressure flakeing.

I just need to start breaking some rocks!

Welcome to the dark side Sticks N Strings....I was sitting there shadowing Shannon when you came up for that spell Saturday night I believe it was. Good meeting ya.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:51:24 pm »
Get some copper ground wire an twist in a vice an drill or you can beat the end to a square point like a nail has . All this does is make your copper harder so it will last longer and not bend so easily, Hope this helps some , holler
 if you need more info,an enjoy the journey an hang in there. Making heads doesn,t come over nite unless your name is Shannon ;D ;DI left sat. evening so I probably missed meeting you. I was in the pit from wed. morning till sat. afternoon. Bob

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:36 am »
Outback you have great ideas.  My copper often bends and hardening sounds like a great idea.  It wants to bend just before the hole. It think twisting it would do the trick.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 04:54:10 am »
Justin Nice meeting you too bud. Did you ride in with Pat or am I thinking of someone else?

I'll have to the twistin thing and hammer it to the shape of a nail.

As aggravated as I have I got breaking rock the last couple days I do think I am learning so that good I reckon. Thanks for all the info and guidance.

Stiks

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:05:59 am »
there are three video channels on youtube that are highly recommended. paleomanjim, flintknapping tips, and our own allergichobbit (jackcrafty). they will definitely help you out when there isnt somebody around to offer tips. peace   
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:31:43 am »
Yes sir that was me