Author Topic: Hickory / ERC - a start & a BLOW! (Hey Blackhawk)  (Read 10594 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Hickory / ERC - a start & a BLOW! (Hey Blackhawk)
« on: May 19, 2011, 05:41:03 pm »
Well, with all the bows I've been blowing I figured this might be a good time to see if I could get an ERC to make some fireworks for me  ;D

Here is a shot of her after cutting her out and a touch of super glue on the small number of knots  ::) >:D (roughly 60+) I'll be dealing with...  Hey Blackhawk, pull up a seat and let me show ya how to break one  O:)

Wish me luck~

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:40:58 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

HatchA

Re: Hickory / ERC - a start (Hey Blackhawk)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:43:14 pm »
It ain't luck you need...  it's a miracle!!

Just joking man :)   looks like a nice bow-in-the-making ;)

Fingers crossed for you...

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »
Lee,
    way cool brother, was gonna post mine but yours is lookin too good.....I made up a hard maple backed ERC (quartersawed heart wood backed with plain sawed hard maple......all recycled from a 60 yr old house.....right now mines in the 60's weight wise and 62" ntn. Havin a hell of a time spinnin that long son of a gun around in the shop, hit about everything in there ::)
rich

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:18 pm »
Hey Lee....im watching.  ;D.   :o.  Lots o knots man with more violations than mine and a few knots I see are horizontal to the back. Ouch. Go super slow and pray. And when/if your done hope it looks as good as this

Good luck...your gonna need it

Edit:I took a second look and your hickory backing looks pretty thick. How thick is it?looks like you should thin it down some before you try to tiller. My backing lam was a tapered lam 3/16" in the center tapering to 1/8" before glue up and I did thin it a lil more after glue up and before I started tillering
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:45:06 pm by blackhawk »

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »
I've actually hade more failures with hickory backing's than white oak, I've yet to have white oak fail, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
Hey Lee the last bow of yours that I watched was that bark backed trade bow that broke my hear.

This thing here looks like it could be a booger..good luck ;D
Blackhawk that looks fine man, just fine.

Lane

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »
lookin forward to this one Lee, how thick is your backing strip?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:50:40 pm »
looks good, and good luck ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:34:13 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys!  Halfeye, please post yours as I will need some more inspiration I think...  Blackhawk, if I can get just one arrow down range with this build I'll be tickled pink (ERC pink  ;))  The backing in the pic was about 1/4" but after todays experience with another thicker backed Hick I took this to the planer and ripped it down to a heavy 1/8th - thin 3/16" so we'll see how it goes.  I'll keep ya guys posted on how it comes along but if anyone hears a muffled curse from somewhere way off in the night it is likely me with another blown piece of kindling  ;D

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:51 am »
Good luck with that, Now if you want ,and I guess you do an exciting blow you can get one with ERC.I speak from experence. ;) ;D ;D Can't wait to see it all finished up,ERC makes a beautiful bow
and are quick,I just haven't had much luck with it,and that's a shame,my place is covered with the stuff. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 10:58:06 am »
LOL, actually I'd love this one to hold together as I too love the look of ERC but in reality I know I shouldn't hold my breath on this one.  8)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:12:08 pm »
Good luck, keep us posted on the progress.  Like the others said ERC is a tough one, and when it blows. WOW!!! Unfortunately I speak from experience.  It can and has been done plenty of times.  So stay positive and go nice and easy.  Good Luck.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 11:18:47 pm »
Thanks Rick, Blackhawk gave me a couple tips today and I have most of the profile work done on the build and was working on floor tiller tonight.  So far it's bending nicely and evenly...needs a little more taken out of the mid-limb and handle area as right now the tips are doing most of the work.  Will get nocks cut into it tomorrow so we'll see if she's ready for the long string by then or not. 

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 06:20:14 pm »
When I'm feeling poor is when I tend to spend the most money.  When I'm blowing up bows is when I go for a really hard one.  I like the way you think.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 08:12:39 pm »
Thanks Gabe, I tend to prefer the "crash coarse" approach to things sometimes.  >:D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold