Author Topic: My first ray  (Read 4017 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: My first ray
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 05:12:26 pm »
How can a Ray taste or feel like a Mollusk when cooked??? I'll tell you what.....Aint no way you can fool this here Yankee....I could tell the difference....give me a Plate of so called Scallops...and if I aint reaching for the Epi-Pen in 10 minutes...it's gotta be Ray......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »
Well it tasted Great it tasted more like fish I guess our south rays taste different then y'alls northern scates
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 12:36:41 am »
I caught a few one time. Cut their wings off and fried em like anything else. Can't remember if I took off the outer skin. They tasted like well bitter, almost like eating the green skin on a pecan or persimmon. Anywho, glad you cooked it right. I'll be trying it again one day.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »

It isn't just the "Asian" Restaurants that serve ray as scallops.  Scallops have sweeter taste also.  Yeah, you need to soak the meat in either salt water, like pat said, or milk.  You can bake, broil, or fry it .  The skin makes beautiful leather.  But it is a lot of work, as like sharks, they have what are called denticles on sharks, like tiny teeth, on the skin.  On the Rays, you just sand those down, and then process the skin into leather. It is a tough leather.  Some have a little diamond pattern, of denticles on the skin, others have various designs.  I want to try it the next time I catch one.  I would like to get the skin from one of those big rays, and Wooo Hooo, wouldn't there be a bit of skin on one of those giant Manta Rays?!!! :o :o  You could have a couple pairs of boots, a jacket, motor cycle pants, and a full set of luggage, not to mention a nice wallet! ;D 8)

Wayne   

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 06:57:23 pm »
I thought it would have tasted like shicken ;D

I once hooked a GIANT spotted ray on a pier in Corpus Christi.  I fought it for 30 minutes thinking it was a great big fish.  When I saw what it was, I enjoyed the sight, was amazed and cut the line.  ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »

Ooooooh, Cowboy ate fried Ray Pee! :P

Wayne

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 12:40:15 am »
i just found out this winter i can eat them, i always catch them while going for fluke and considered them a pest, i usually don't keep fish, but it'll leave more bait for the better game fish and something new to eat

by the way, as far s the skins go, would that be something good to trade once i get some ??? the ones near me aren't big, but big enough for a handle
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what