Author Topic: Medieval / Ancient Bowyer tools?  (Read 28447 times)

Offline markinengland

Re: Medieval / Ancient Bowyer tools?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 06:05:01 pm »
Looks to me like the guy using the "harness burnisher" is using a draw knife to shape a male wooden pattern over which a piece of armour could be hammered.
I don't think any useful tool could burnish steel in the way suggested! Apart from making a horrid noise and maybe doing a little scratching I can't see that it would achive anything else!
Mark in England

babbott

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 07:22:27 pm »
I've seen a harness burnisher like that.  It's actually a piece of wood with leather attached.  The leather is impregnated with abrasive (pumice, or what have you) and rubbed on the parts of armor that need cleaning up.  It works a treat, kind of like a strop for razors.
-Ben

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 11:36:07 am »
Jeesh! That would sure make planing out a bow a lot easier. Would like to see a detailed picture of one though so we can build one. Bet it would save a lot of time making the bows.

I have actually found one of these, and have now ordered one for myself, and one for a friend (a better bowyer than I!!)  Unfortunately it is from a non-PA-advertising (as far as I know) primitive supplier in Europe, so I cant add a link here.  When I get it (2 weeks or so) I will post a picture.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719