Author Topic: Maple Board Trade Bow (Was Finished... Now it's pretty firewood!)  (Read 9360 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
I started tillering what I was hoping to be my trade bow tonight, but I don't think that it's going to make weight.  I might have made a rookie mistake and taken too much wood off before tillering... oh wait, I am a rookie :)

Right now it's at 30 lbs at 22 inches, and just starting to take some set. I want to get the limbs bending a tad more about 2/3 of the way out.  Do I have any hope of making 45 lbs? I think this one is going to have to be for my sister  :P

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:25:16 pm by Cameroo »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Maple Board Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:40:25 am »
Looking pretty good,what draw length are you going for ? You will usually pick up 2 to 3 lbs. per inch of draw,so if you are going for 28 it would be close if you don't have any more problems,also you
could heat treat the belly and flip the tips a bit and pick up several lbs. It is is long enough you could pike it an inch or 2 also. I have also learned over the years to get the limbs bending even but not try and get it to close before I get them to a short brace. That gives me some wood to work with.You might make it,the only way to find out is give it a go. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:06:50 pm »
Looks like its coming allong good, Pappy nailed it ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:06:58 pm »
If you have any more maple (anything else tension strong) you could rip a 1/8inch backing off of another board. both surfaces are already flat so glue up would be easy. only problem would be the nice nocks you have already installed would have to go by by.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »
I forgot to mention that I backed this with rawhide, glued on with TB3, so I'm not sure it would be wise to do any heat treating, although I'd love to try it sometime soon.  I'll probably just finish tillering and see what I get.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »
You will be close if not right at your target weight, I wouldnt stress if its a little under weight ;D
Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »
I pretty much finished tillering this one, and as I suspected, it came out quite a bit lighter than I had hoped.  It's pulling about 37lbs at 28".  I could try piking it, but I think I'd rather just leave it as-is.  Guess this will be either for my girlfriend or my sister :) 

Shucks, now I have to start another one :P

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:13:26 pm »
Sucks that it didn't work out for the trade but it has a perfect tiller, and it looks like you dressed up the tips too.  better luck next time on the weight, I know your frustration. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 11:32:07 pm »
It's all good.  I had a girly bow on my to-do list, it just got bumped up the list a couple spots :)  I'll take some better pictures once its all done.

Maybe this bow will inspire my girlfriend to take up archery... doubtful, but there's always hope!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:14:22 am »
next time ya think your coming in light & @ 23" or so, stop scraping and just exercise the heck out of it and keep streching it, alot of bows I do this on as I just start shooting it in , tape on the arrow at 24" 26" and so on till I get to full draw, checking draw weight  as the length goes up, it's worked so far, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 03:51:22 am »
Still a sweet bow. 

I once "finished" tillering a bow then started sanding the tool marks out.  I didn't realize it but I had sanded one limb a lot more than the other then it was out of tiller.  I panicked and took too much wood off the other limb.. after all was said and done I dropped the weight by 10lbs....I was depressed.  Now I start sanding 2 inches shy of full draw and really pay attention to what I do to each limb.  It's really helped me hit my target weight...more often. 

What you have is a really nice bow you can target shoot all day.  AND you have the chance to build another bow.  See it's all good.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 04:12:01 am »
Bub - I did as little scraping after hitting 22 inches as possible, but the tiller still needed a bit of work to get the tips coming in a bit more.  I generally try to have the tiller dialed in a lot earlier, just didn't work out that way with this one.

Arrowind - thanks man.  I still have to do the final sanding so I expect to lose 2 or 3 lbs yet.  But you're right, these light bows are fun to shoot all day. And I've already got another one started.  I'm going to try making it about 1/4" wider to reduce the set a bit, and maybe I'll play with the heat gun a bit to put some reflex in and temper it a bit.

I had fun making this one.  It's only my 4th bow, and the same general design as my first 3, but I did a couple things different just to experiment.  I kinda "holmied" the tips a bit, leaving them thicker and narrowed a bit, and also angled my tip overlays up a bit. (Which gave me a whopping 1/4" of reflex! ;) )

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Another Maple Board Bow
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 08:19:26 pm »
I started on another maple bow today.  I made the parallel part of the limb 1/4 inch wider (1 5/8"), and made it slightly bendy-handled, and what a difference that made.  I was able to take it up to 50 lbs fairly early in the process, and there is no set at all.  At least my last failure taught me something :)  I'm feeling really good about this one.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:22:32 pm by Cameroo »

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 12:13:09 am »
new is looking nice.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 12:16:47 am »
Looks good so far. Those short bendy handle bows are by far my favorite.