Author Topic: Maple Board Trade Bow (Was Finished... Now it's pretty firewood!)  (Read 9368 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Maple Board Trade Bow (Updated)
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 03:11:19 am »
I got some more done on this sucker and figured I'd post a couple pictures.  The first bow in this thread didn't make the weight I wanted so I started this second one in hopes of it becoming my trade bow.  I finished tillering it and it's at about 53 lbs @28, so once I'm done the finish sanding it should be just where I want it.  I was contemplating trying to heat treat this a bit, because from what I've read maple responds really well to it, but it's getting pretty close to crunch time, and I'm not sure I want to rush another one if something goes wrong (since I've never done it before).

I put 3 layers of rawhide on both sides of the grip to build it up a bit, figuring a wooden handle would just pop off.  I've been wanting to try a grip like this for a while.  I have a stingray skin that I think I might try for the handle wrap.

I got the tips (overlayed with African Mahogany) roughed-out and tried a few shots outside in the dark, since I couldn't wait till tomorrow :)  Seems to shoot nicely, but makes a bit of a twang when released.  Not really any hand shock though.

Here's some crappy pics of brace and full draw.  I didn't notice till after I took the pics that it wasn't sitting quite level on the tree.  Both limbs are actually pretty much even.

Thanks for looking.  Any commentary is appreciated :)

Offline degoins

Re: Maple Board Trade Bow (Updated)
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:50:34 am »
Very nice!!

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 12:45:52 pm »
I started tillering what I was hoping to be my trade bow tonight, but I don't think that it's going to make weight.  I might have made a rookie mistake and taken too much wood off before tillering... oh wait, I am a rookie :)

Right now it's at 30 lbs at 22 inches, and just starting to take some set. I want to get the limbs bending a tad more about 2/3 of the way out.  Do I have any hope of making 45 lbs? I think this one is going to have to be for my sister  :P

Hey, buddy, don't take all the blame! Seems to me you had some help taking a bit too much wood off that stave!  ;)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »
nice tiller on the new one Cameroo, and the tips are super sweet. I want to try the rawhide grip on one of mine. whoever gets it shouuld be a happpy camper :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 01:34:48 pm »
Hey, buddy, don't take all the blame! Seems to me you had some help taking a bit too much wood off that stave!  ;)

Oh ya, thanks buddy :) I didn't want to point fingers  >:D  You just got a little band saw happy, that's all!  I roughed this one out with a jigsaw, worked ok, just took a bit longer.

Thanks Eric.  I like the grip, it's nice to feel the handle bend a bit when you draw it back.

Hopefully I'll have it pretty much done and ready to ship by next week.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 11:51:46 pm »
That's looking real good Cam. Love the tips. Stingray would make an awesome handle......been meaning to try that myself sometime.
I use leather to fill in the grip on bendy handle bows the same way....... always worked well for me.
Looking foreward to seeing the finished bow.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 01:57:05 am »
I think I'm ready to call this one done. For the first time, I tried a stingray skin grip on it, and used some latigo strips to build up some shoulders on the ends, to serve as a shelf (also making it ambidextrous).  On the edges that were stitched, I folded it over on itself and crazy glued it to itself to give a little extra strength and keep the thread from pulling through the holes.  After much debate over what to use to stitch it, I thought that some serving thread might look good, and go along with the black and white color scheme.  All that's left is to add the recipient's name and some other finishing touches, and then I'll probably get it in the mail.

Anyway, here are some pics from the latest photo shoot   ;D 

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:03:19 am by Cameroo »

Offline bubby

Re: Maple Board Trade Bow (Now Finished... I think)
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 03:08:10 am »
 :o man that handle it sweeeet, and ambidextrous, built by a lefty, better not get my hopes up, seriously me likey, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 03:16:02 am »
two thumbs up :) nice bow you did a great job.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 08:33:11 am »
Nice bow.  I like the stingray handle.  That would match my stingray boots nicely ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:11 pm »
very nice Cameroo, love the grip(along with everybody else :)).nice smooth arc  at full draw. somebody will be very happy
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 01:32:24 pm »
Nice one Cam!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »
Sure looks nice to me,like that handle and tips look awesome-well done - Hammertime

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »
Thanks everyone  ;D

Offline DEllis

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 01:36:01 am »
Looks awesome Cam. Great idea with the leather wedge to build up for the rolled top and bottom.......love the stingray. :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!