Author Topic: A little Osage bow  (Read 13469 times)

Offline FlintWalker

A little Osage bow
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:02:30 pm »
Here is my third successful self bow. It's 58" ntn, 1.5" wide at the fades tapering to 3/8" nocks. It draws 46# @27" and according to my chrono shoots my 540 grain shafts an average of 155 fps and a 470 grain shaft 159. ;D I don't notice any handshock or noise. It came in about 10# lighter than what I was hoping for, I think I messed around with the long string too long... Lesson learned.
  At rest, it sits pretty much straight and shows just a hint of string follow after shooting it for a while.
  I would have never even tried to make a bow from this stave had I not went to Twin Oaks and saw just how much you can manipulate osage with a little heat and a few clamps. Pappy and them fellows sure know their stuff!
  When I first layed out the bow on this stave, the string was an inch off the handle and the limbs looked like a rollercoaster but it all came together pretty nice.
  I guess coming in under weight just gives me an excuse to make another one :)
   Shannon

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: A little Osage bow
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:28:50 pm »
looks great shannon! ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:28:59 pm »
Hey man - that's one heckava good lookin bow! I love it! I think we're all a little too hard on ourselves far as critique - that just pushes us to try a little harder every time, which is a good thing. Anyway - what follow? nice grip, and nice knot hole too ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mamba

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:41:51 pm »
Great job.
Ray/NY

Offline jignfrog

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 11:55:19 pm »
nice looking bow. You did a good job.

Ron
Bruner Missouri

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 12:09:56 am »
Sweet bow, that osage will sure bend to your will won't it.  It would have been pretty tricky to get that perfect profile on a 55+lb bow that length.  Might've had an extra couple inches of set.

I quit with the long string as soon as the bow bends to the equivalent of brace height.  But Pappy probably already told you that.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 12:37:12 am »
Excellent bow. For a 58" recurve, you done very well. ;) I think Lennie pegged it. You hit this one just right. ;D Had it been 10# heavier it set might have robed most of the excess energy.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jbell

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 12:55:13 am »
Thats AWESOME! Profile and tiller look great! Listen to Lennie and Pat, that bow came out just right. Maybe the next 58"er go a little wider, say 1 5/8 and you will probably keep that same profile and get your weight. Listen to me givin advice like a pro, HA!, Yeh Right! Congratulations on a great third successful beauty.
Justin Blunt

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:27:26 am »
Thanks guys, i'll try and post a better full draw picture tomorrow if I can find someone to take it. That one was with the timer.  SW
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 02:39:53 am »
Great bow. I particularly like the flipped up tips and the way you did the handle.
Gordon

Offline StanM

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 03:22:34 am »
Beautiful bow, Shannon, and those speeds are smokin'  :o  Great perfomance for the length and weight, that will make a dandy hunting bow.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 04:11:46 am »
Now,...that a good looking bow ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:23 am »
shannon!  -  oooohhh what a shame it came out 10# to light....well, what a coincident 58# is almost exactly my drawweight; why don't you just ship thatone to me.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

very successfull bow, i'd say!!!
frank
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:24:39 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 07:53:50 am »
Man, you did a great job on that one-looks damn near like the perfect hunting bow to me. With those chrono numbers, you're already getting the performance of an average slightly overbuilt 55-60# bow without having to drag the weight back to shoot it. Draw weight is pretty ambiguous, a well-made 45# bow can actually easily outshoot a poorly made 55 pounder if a bigger percentage of the stored energy makes it into the arrow. I've got a good idea where my vote's going this month :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:55:28 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 07:59:30 am »
Very nice short recurve, looks sharp man. Yup a better full draw pic would be appreciated.
Keep em coming Shannon.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI